New Laptop For Casual Gaming

Alec Lockhart

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have just recently decided to go for a new laptop so I can do some gaming while away from my main rig. I have checked out many laptops and the HP Elitebook 8560P is the one I am thinking about getting. I will be getting it used and I will probably be able to get it for around $280.

Specs:
CPU: 2nd Gen i5-2540m @ 2.6GHz (Dual Core)
Graphics Chip (Dedicated): AMD Radeon HD 6470m (1GB VRAM)
Memory: 4GB Stock (Will upgrade as it comes with 1 empty memory slot)
Screen: 15.6" @ 1366 x 768p
OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 (Will be upgrading to Linux - Ubuntu 14.04 x64 edition)

Now, I know what you are thinking; "Oh noes! Mid-end laptop for gaming!" (and maybe something about Hewlett-Packard) But, seriously, this will just be for lower end gaming and school work. The games I will be playing will be along the lines of Terraria, Minecraft, G-mod, plus a couple other lower-end games. I have also seen the Radeon HD 6470m be able to play BF3 on Ultra settings (OCed) so I know that this laptop will be able to handle a decent amount.

My question is, however... is there a better laptop out there for around $250-350? This of course includes refurbished PCs (I know it's risky but the good price can be worth it) and second hand from a source like eBay. Any thoughts? I am open to ideas at this point, it might be a while until I commit.

Thanks!

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
The games might not run the same on linux BTW. They might run, but not at the same performance levels.Because of less optimized driver support.
I'd say just make a linux virtual machine on the windows OS if you want to use linux for linux stuff. or dual boot them.