Solved! New Laptop for School

aquafloe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a laptop for school that can help with work and play some games. Here's what I'm looking for.

1. What is your budget?
$500-$600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15-16 inches, something that would fit comfortably in a school bag

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portability isn't that important to me.

5. How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Sims 3 (Med)
Crysis (Med)
Source Games (Med)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
If it had a firewire I'd be able to work on video projects. If not, no big deal. Also a nice large touchpad if possible.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Around 500GB

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
For as long as it'll last

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Writer would be great

13. What country do you live in?
USA

Refurbished and discount deals are fine, actually welcomed. :) And if the gaming specs fall short a bit of what I said, no big deal. I'm not wanting a fullscale gaming desktop.

Solution
Just a small word of advice from a college student, a 15.6 inch laptop is pushing it for most book bags. So i would recommend maybe a 14 inch.

Also you might want to bump your budget up a tad to play crysis on medium settings. crysis on my laptop is very gpu limited. i can run crysis on 1 thread and still get the same as running it on all 8 threads. i have a gt 540m and a i7 2630m so shoot for something with a gt 540m if you want to play crysis.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115987

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Just a small word of advice from a college student, a 15.6 inch laptop is pushing it for most book bags. So i would recommend maybe a 14 inch.

Also you might want to bump your budget up a tad to play crysis on medium settings. crysis on my laptop is very gpu limited. i can run crysis on 1 thread and still get the same as running it on all 8 threads. i have a gt 540m and a i7 2630m so shoot for something with a gt 540m if you want to play crysis.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115987

Solution