new laptop for video editing, 3d modeling and rendering, audio composing (final cut, after effects, maya, ableton live, logic)

labeija

Estimable
May 9, 2014
hi all.

i'm an artist from berlin currently living in new york.

growing up with pc's and some first shy steps into programming, i picked the "easy" way about 10 years ago and only used powerbooks and macbook pros, mostly for video editing, photoshop and music making since.

i recently started using maya for my videos and my macbook i5 started causing more and more anger in me

plus - it regularly started black screening on me so i think i'm in for a new laptop.

impulsively i researched the newest mac laptops but seeing those prices again i thought why not buy a "real" computer again.

i did a quick research and saw that there are several options, but maybe someone here can give me some more precise advice on what i'm actually looking for.

your help is much appreciated!

daniel

1. What is your budget?
$2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15'

3. What screen resolution do you want?
full hd (1080p ?)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable!

5. How much battery life do you need?
use it mostly with charger, but of course battery shouldn't suck

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
video, photo editing (final cut, AE, PS, AI, ID), 3d modeling and rendering (so far only maya), sound editing (ableton live, logic)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
the more the better

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rom

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
i'm totally open to whatever works best

13. What country do you live in?
currently in the US, but will go back to germany in half a year or so

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

thanks a lot guys!

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I have their GT60 2OD-261US, had it for about a 1 year now with no problems at all with it. Use it for work every day and game on it at night, lan parties about every other weekend with it as well.

TRENDING THREADS