New laptop hard drive

marcus8h

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Okay so i have had my lenovo y580 for quite some time now and have noticed significant slow down. It boots very slow and loads things very slow. (loading screens on games take forever). I am assuming it is the hard drive that is causing this but correct me if i am wrong. I have the 1TB 7200rpm version of the y580. My questions are:

1) How can I properly diagnose my HD is causing the slow down
2) If it is and I buy a new hard drive, how do i put windows 10 on it since i did the upgrade from win7 and do not have a disk

Solution
It's very easy mate. I have just done that to my daughters Toshiba laptop. Simply buy an SSD 2.5 inch drive. 120GB Sandisk Plus is less than £40 delivered in UK atm. Just download the Windows 10 creation tool from microsoft.com, create either a USB boot disk or burn a DVD, it's incredibly easy, obviously using your existing drive. Make sure your have got your drivers backed up on a usb stick somewhere.
Swap drives in bottom of laptop. Boot using DVD or the USB boot disk you made. Windows 10 will load and will automatically validate itself when you have installed your wireless drivers. It is already locked to your hardware so putting a new hard in will not affect it's validity.
An SSD will make a massive difference, more so than ANY...

Dumarest1961

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
It's very easy mate. I have just done that to my daughters Toshiba laptop. Simply buy an SSD 2.5 inch drive. 120GB Sandisk Plus is less than £40 delivered in UK atm. Just download the Windows 10 creation tool from microsoft.com, create either a USB boot disk or burn a DVD, it's incredibly easy, obviously using your existing drive. Make sure your have got your drivers backed up on a usb stick somewhere.
Swap drives in bottom of laptop. Boot using DVD or the USB boot disk you made. Windows 10 will load and will automatically validate itself when you have installed your wireless drivers. It is already locked to your hardware so putting a new hard in will not affect it's validity.
An SSD will make a massive difference, more so than ANY other upgrade.

Solution

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
When I replaced my boot drive with an SSD, the Samsung drive included a kit and software to duplicate the boot drive onto the SSD, which was connected via their tool through USB. When that was don, I just swapped the drives. (Easiest boot-drive swap I have ever done.)

My LT felt like a new machine.

As for why it seems to be slowing down ... Check to make sure you aren't reaching it's capacity, if so start to clean out your drive. If that isn't it, check to see if it needs to be defragmented ... well, try and do so anyway. (But not on a SSD)

Both of these conditions will slow the system.

ETA: Neither of the above solutions will keep your old system's installs and data, though the data will still be on the original disk.)