New laptop keeps on shutting down even it is fully charged

chlei0923

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
I have purchased an ASUS X441U laptop 2weeks ago at the Mall. On the first week the laptop seems fine. I have successfully downloaded and installed my first application which is photoshop from the internet and it works fine and there's no notice that it is virus. I continued working with photoshop but on the 2nd week my laptop keeps on shutting down even it is fully charge. I tried all the troubleshooting and searched on the internet but still it has an issue. I tried to go to the store and the technician said the photoshop ia not legit and i had to pay almost $20 for them to fix it. But i asked for a replacement and they didn't allowed it since it is 2weeks ago. I am very frustrated. Please help me if this is really a software problem not a hardware problem. Coz i purchased it just2weeks ago and it is brand new. I can't accept the fact that they didn't allow me to replace it!

Solution
Are you sure the laptop actually shuts down? I mean, do you have to push the power button and go through the start-up process each time?

My guess is that either the screen goes black or the laptop goes into sleep-mode, maybe both. In those cases, you normally only have to tap a random key, or swipe across the touch-pad and the laptop should open and display your last session.

If this is the case you can check the Power Management settings. A new laptop will by default be set to very aggressive power conservation, especially when on battery-only.

Does your ASUS run Endless OS or Windows 10?

If you're running Windows 10:
Open the Settings app and select System. On the menu to the left click Power & sleep. This page allows you to...
Are you sure the laptop actually shuts down? I mean, do you have to push the power button and go through the start-up process each time?

My guess is that either the screen goes black or the laptop goes into sleep-mode, maybe both. In those cases, you normally only have to tap a random key, or swipe across the touch-pad and the laptop should open and display your last session.

If this is the case you can check the Power Management settings. A new laptop will by default be set to very aggressive power conservation, especially when on battery-only.

Does your ASUS run Endless OS or Windows 10?

If you're running Windows 10:
Open the Settings app and select System. On the menu to the left click Power & sleep. This page allows you to change how the laptop acts when plugged in and when on battery.

For example: You can set the screen to turn off after 1 hour on battery and 2 hours when plugged in. You have similar options for Sleep mode.

If you're running Endless OS:
There are tons of compatibility issues, e.g. with Adobe PhotoShop. As it is now, PhotoShop will not run on a Linux-based OS like Endless OS. This means you have to find alternative photo-editing software. Being essentially a Linux OS, Endless OS has the benefit of being free, unlike Windows, which means ASUS can lower the price on the laptop.

There's also this ASUS app that helps with battery health:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1034263

Finally, it could also be the battery about to malfunction, in which case you can try this calibration process from ASUS's support page:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1032745

At worst, you may have to send the laptop to a certified ASUS repair shop using an RMA form. Go to this page:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Max-X441UA/HelpDesk_Warranty/

... and click 'Find service locations'. Then pick your country and read the instructions carefully. Prepare yourself for a lengthy and cumbersome procedure.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution