Solved! New laptop small beast high budget

physicsiseasy

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello everyone. I have a gaming rig at home, but business has been good and keeping me away from it. I want a small laptop (less than 15 inches) that has as much power crammed in as possible. I was looking at the alienware m11x but the screen is too small. Before I say much more let me answer the questions.
1. What is your budget? $1000-2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? less than 15 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? ppi is important to me so i dont mind 14 instead of 15 inches if the resolution would be the same

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I do want it to be as fas as possible. core i7 and a good video card

5. How much battery life do you need? I know that with all this power comes a lot of battery usage. I was hoping that if the laptop had an optical drive that I could get an additional battery

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I am not sure of the upcoming titles but I would ideally like to play them on medium to high.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) In addition to gaming, I do not do anything too intense.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? An ssd would be nice for speed but i dont need that much hard drive space. I have 4 tera on my main so anything above 3 or 5 hundred gigs will likely be fine. I would never turn down more space though :)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I usually use newegg and bensbargains to look for deals.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? a few years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? battery if possible or nothing. no need for dvd drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. i have no preference. i just want the best that i can get

13. What country do you live in? us

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks.

warren024

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n43jfa1-p-2923.html?wconfigure=yes

How I would configure it on your budget $1794:

ASUS N43JF-A1
- 14.1" HD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy LED Screen (1366x768)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
- -Intel® Core™ i7-640M, 2.88-3.44GHz, (4MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
- nVidia GT 425M 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
- No Video Adapter
- 8GB (2 SODIMM) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB)
- Standard Finish
- 6X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
- - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid 32MB Cache (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay (When adding Hard Drive, Optical Drive Is Not Included/Removed)
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- No Back Up Software
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 5-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/ xD-P)
- Integrated Bluetooth® EDR
- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- Windows 7 Home Premium - 32-Bit
- No thanks, do not create backup recovery DVD's
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty 24/7 Support / 1 Year North America (N.A.) Accidental Coverage (Accidental Requires Registration)
- No Xotic PC Gear

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I would go for this one:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150s1-clevo-p150hm-p-2981.html?wconfigure=yes

Has a 1920x1080 LCD screen, very large (1080p). Quite powerful CPU. 8GB RAM, can upgrade to 12 or 16GB for a couple hundred bucks if you *really* want to.
It has no optical bay at all per se your requirements (an SSD instead, yeah)

Customizations (explained):
- nVidia GeForce GTX 460M (It's a very, very good video card for a laptop, one of the best actually, and should keep you entertained for a few years)
- 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (Nice 7200RPM large hard drive, should be large enough right?)
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Channels 24-bit External USB Sound Card (Believe me, if you want to play music you'll regret not getting a real sound card)
- 120GB Intel X25-M Solid State Drive (holy sh$t an SSD, the pinnacle of mobile computing lol - you throw the OS, your applications and often-accessed document folders in there and fire up the beast - archives and other documents go on the 750GB hard drive)

Total: $1875 discounted. Add the accessories, external video adapter, shipping, etc ... should come out at about $2050 IMO. Godammit I want that laptop now.