New Laptop Suggestions

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
So, school will be coming sooner than I'd like (2 more years and I'm done though!) and while my Chromebook Acer C-720P has performed admirably I am wanting something more.

I miss the flexibility that is in Windows but at the same time, I like the allure of a Mac (even though you pay through the nose). So I am at a cross roads. I could throw $1500 at the Mac or get something more svelte.

I'll be doing lots of word processing (business admin and business law degrees...papers galore!) but would like to if I desire do some photo/image editing or play some games, Diablo 3 is my grinding stone.

I have a desktop, 2500k, 6870 XFX Radeon etc (She's getting long in the tooth I know) but I miss portable power.

I'm open to whatever and am in the USA. Won't be purchasing until August though so if something is on the horizon I can wait. That being said, here's the form!

1. What is your budget? It's whatever...government money! I still want to be reasonable. I'm going to borrow a subsidized loan, flip that over to my discover card and then pay it off.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Can be up to 17", I don't need a keypad though.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Readable. 1600x900 and up I will be doing a lot of word processing and multi-window would be appreciated.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, I'll be backpacking this to and from work everyday but if I need something heftier I'm okay with that.

5. How much battery life do you need? I'm usually near power but something mid-range at least.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Diablo 3 like I said above is really all I usually play so something on acceptable settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I will be doing photo editing from time to time since I run a blog and create my own images.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500GB minimum

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nope, Halp me!

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years. 2 left for school and then whatever I need to thereafter.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Please read above.

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.