New laptop with windows 8 really slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123321

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Can't find my old thread for some reason but this is a better place to post.

Bought a new laptop at PC world and it's absolutely crap!
It works really really slow, slower than my 7 years old computer at home and can't see HD video's clear without freezing every second for a split second.
I've read a lot about it and know there's a solution but couldn't understand really what I need to do.

This is my system on the laptop:

HP pavilion

Windows edition : windows 8.1

System:
Processor : AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 graphics 2.00 GHZ

RAM: 8GB

System type: 64-bit operating system x64-based processor

Pen and touch: full windows touch support with 10 touch points

Hard disk : 1TB

Antivirus: McAfee livesafe

Really need help mates and I'm really crap in it so most of the stuff you say I won't understand if it's complicated.

Solution
Most of the time when I get a new PC that is slow, it's the bloatware installed by the manufacturers that is the real culprit. I always try to do a fresh install of Windows the first thing I do with a new PC or laptop. This is especially problematic on laptops which typically come with lower-power 5400rpm HDDs. If a clean install isn't in the cards or doesn't help, you can also go through msconfig to see what might be running at startup and all the time. Just be careful what you disable, some things shouldn't be disabled (namely microsoft/intel/amd/some manufacturer software, and a few other things). Of course, if you're up to it you can also try installing a SSD and you'll see a huge performance increase.

As far as the RAM in...

Tom123321

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Btw when I start my computer stupid defence programs load up like "any protect" and I don't even have that program installed!
And most annoying thing every time I go on to the web and press on a new link a new layer on the chrome appears with an advert. So every time I press something a new page opens up! So annoying can't cope with it!!

My computer at home now days is cheaper and weaker than my new laptop so pretty sure your comment wasn't helpful but thanks

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Most of the time when I get a new PC that is slow, it's the bloatware installed by the manufacturers that is the real culprit. I always try to do a fresh install of Windows the first thing I do with a new PC or laptop. This is especially problematic on laptops which typically come with lower-power 5400rpm HDDs. If a clean install isn't in the cards or doesn't help, you can also go through msconfig to see what might be running at startup and all the time. Just be careful what you disable, some things shouldn't be disabled (namely microsoft/intel/amd/some manufacturer software, and a few other things). Of course, if you're up to it you can also try installing a SSD and you'll see a huge performance increase.

As far as the RAM in dedicated graphics goes, that's the maximum that the system will allocate and it's set by the OS or sometimes even the BIOS. But the shared RAM is not going to slow you down under normal operation, because it's just that: "shared." The GPU will only make use of as much as is necessary, and the OS can use the rest, dynamically adjusting the amount depending on what your VRAM requirements are. You really shouldn't be having any performance issues playing HD video though, according to notebookcheck, the R5 GPU should be capable of up to 4k hardware video decoding and is more than powerful enough to support up to 3 displays. A simple 1080p video should be a walk in the park.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't already, check for any possible driver updates, especially graphics driver updates.

Some other things to consider: Make sure you aren't running in power saver mode, which will limit your processor speed. Even if the laptop is plugged in, it will enact power-saving operations to use as little electricity as possible. I generally find that the "balanced" setting will work for general browsing, with high performance good for games and stuff like photoshop.

Solution

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Well, you really need to be careful what you disable. If you want to list what's there, I can tell you if there's anything I would disable personally, but I can't make any promises beyond my own experience.

Tom123321

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
K cool, can find that bloody "AnyProtect" now just disabled it.
Well thanks a lot mate I think you really helped a lot. I'll give it some time now and try to boost it up with your suggestions.
So you don't think I should take it back and redeem my money I assume cause it's really problems that you get with most laptops/computers

I've also been told that my antivirus (mcafee) is crap and not to friendly with windows 8, is that true?

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Youre welcome, be sure to let us know if you have more questions.

As for Antivirus, I personally don't use mcafee, but I generally hear that about ANY antivirus to be 100% honest. You always have people that will swear by a certain antivirus program's performance, and those who will swear by their lack of performance. It's certainly not the most lightweight antivirus if that's what you're looking for. I've heard that Kapersky and Norton 360 are decent with their performance on W8, but I haven't tried them myself (I use AVG, but I don't claim it's the best, it just happened to be the cheapest last time I went looking for a new AV)

Tom123321

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah just got it with my laptop for 20£.

Anyways speed preforemence have defiantly been improved still far from perfect but assuming it's because I still have a big amount of stupid installations to disable.
HD videos will work clear now but for some reason it takes about 30 seconds to really get it clear (on YouTube)

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Good to hear.

Youtube by default doesn't load videos in HD until you go fullscreen, so depending on your internet speed it might take 30 seconds of playback to finish the switch. It's unrelated to hardware, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.