new laptops internet speed is excruciatingly slow

threeputt

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
In the last week I have bought a Lenovo Ideapad 110 to replace my aging HP, I thought it would be adequate but internet browsing was immediately slower than my aging HP - I came to the immediate conclusion I'd bought too cheap (4gb ram 500 gb storage, 1.6 ghz processor speed), bit the bullet wrote the money off (£200) and bought a simiilar spec to my old HP, I now have a new Asus x541u (8gb, 1tb storage, 2.3mhz processor speed (2.8mhz turbo) with exactly the same problem of an excruciatingly slow internet speed. My old hp gets max 2.3Mbps which I found ok (yep !) but both of the new laptops are at most half that speed. I managed to locate the http address of my router as I'd heard a suggestion about changing the ghz but itt didnt seem to have the option to check or change, it is a sky router and I am contemplating upgrading to fibre optic broadband anyway, but surely both new computers shouldnt be this excruciating slow on the internet ? help please !

ps I just did separate broadband tests on the old HP and the new Asus with only one connected at a time, the old HP was 1.3 Mbps and the new Asus 0.2Mbps (although strangely browsing did seem remarkably quicker than before, but the test says not !). I havent even got as far as changing the browser on the Asus to favoured Firefox as yet so it's still using the one supplied (Microsoft Edge ?)
Windows 10 by the way
2.3Mbps seems the max around here, but upgrading to Fibre Optic would be better right ? but suggestions in the interim gratefully received
Thanks

Solution
Hi,

The first issue may be within the browser, try a different one. Many things can be the cause of your issue with this slow connection. My suggestion would be to first check the drives which should have come with the laptop, it's important to ensure all the drivers are installed and up to date. However should that not fix the issue the next thing I would recommend it trying it on a different WIFI Network. If you don't have one you may be able to obtain on temporary one using a hotspot on your phone.
Hi,

The first issue may be within the browser, try a different one. Many things can be the cause of your issue with this slow connection. My suggestion would be to first check the drives which should have come with the laptop, it's important to ensure all the drivers are installed and up to date. However should that not fix the issue the next thing I would recommend it trying it on a different WIFI Network. If you don't have one you may be able to obtain on temporary one using a hotspot on your phone.

Solution