Question New MSI laptop - Constant working fan & Beeping noise (possible coil whine)

Sep 23, 2020
Hi guys,

I bought the new MSI GE66 Raider a little over a month ago. Not sure if it was there the whole time, but I have a beeping/buzzing sound coming from my laptop. I have made a long research for possible causes and have contact MSI support and I have ended with the likely cause: "coil whine". For those of you who don't know that this is, it is a noice produced by resistors in the GPU (or something...) and is absolutely normal and many laptops have this *condition.

My main problem is that - I think from just a week or two - my fan 1 would act strangely. When in idle, and when running apps, it is just working almost all the time; I am actually unsure if it ever stops, keeping it at 2400 RPMs. The noice that was coming from the laptop.can be heard from both ends at the same frequency (and I might even say that it has gone a tiny bit louder recently). Also, when the laptop falls asleep on its own, the fan would spike every 10-20 secs for a few seconds, which is supper wired to me and I am generally scared for the health and performance of my new laptop.

The MSI team told me to update my BIOS and EC firmware but I am concerned in what order to do it. Which should come first? I have never updated BIOS and EC in my life but have read both manuals from MSI and I think that I should be able to do it. I am also about to order myself a brand new USB to conduct the BIOS update so, does the type of USB matter? I am simply planning to buy a good 64 Gig, 3.0 USB from Amazon.

What do you guys suggest I should do, and should I be concerned? Is this a common problem?

Thank you!

If the order matters, that should be spelled out in the installation instructions. That is a question for the MSI tech guys. I update firmware regularly. Be sure the battery is charged and the unit is plugged into external power. The specifics of the USB shouldn't matter. I would think 64GB would be way bigger than you need. Look at the size of the download files and multiply that by 4 (in case they are compressed) and that should be plenty. You can likely use a USB stick you already have.

Note that sometimes if firmware updating is interrupted while is process the result can be a dead machine. This rarely happens, but just want you to be careful. I've never had that happen myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinRodopski
Sep 23, 2020
Hi so I bout the MSI GE66 Raider a month ago and I am constantly hearing a beeping/buzzing electrical noice that is rather faint and coming from my laptop (it can be heard from both ends.

I have complained to MSI support team and have raised and enquiry to have it repaired, but I have just noticed that this sound is amplified when moving my mouse or touch pad (by amplified understand that it turns from beeping to continuous screeching type or buzzing).

Do you guys think that it is a hardware fault, software fault or what?

Im quite concerned so please help me out!