New RAM not showing on my Asus laptop.

Blaston

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Hello,

Last year I got a ASUS X552LDV-SX1030D laptop and I've been really satisfied with it but recently I wanted to get 4Gb of RAM. From what I could gather from around the internet It seems that this laptop is compatible with additional memory. So I bought a KingMax DDRIII SO-DIMM, 4Gb, 1600MHz RAM and It perfectly fitted in the slot on my laptop yet it wont show. Not even after a clean Win install and a BiOS update.

If anybody knows how to handle this problem please help me.

Thank you in advance, have a nice day!

Solution
Unfortunately, If ASUS states you require DDR3L (Low Voltage RAM), then there is no way around it. I would recommend that you return the RAM you purchased in exchange for what you need. DDR3L So-DIMMs appear to run between 1.25 and 1.35 volts, whereas standard DDR3 So-DIMMs can run at 1.5 volts. Power limitations do not allow for using standard DDR3 So-DIMMs.

-Wolf sends

Blaston

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Thank you for replying.

You mean in the box of the laptop?

Only the device itself, it's adapter, a CD with some Asus related drivers, and programs and a manual.
(The manual did not contain any information about this issue.)

Blaston

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

ohh sorry,

Actually inside there is already 4Gb of soldered RAM and there was one empty slot also implying that I can add more.

I also wrote a letter to the Asus help center and what they said was that I should use DDR3L instead of DDR3.

Yet this RAM was not cheap at all and I wonder if there is any way of making this one work.

Unfortunately, If ASUS states you require DDR3L (Low Voltage RAM), then there is no way around it. I would recommend that you return the RAM you purchased in exchange for what you need. DDR3L So-DIMMs appear to run between 1.25 and 1.35 volts, whereas standard DDR3 So-DIMMs can run at 1.5 volts. Power limitations do not allow for using standard DDR3 So-DIMMs.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Blaston

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Thank you for your answer. I'll go and exchange if I can and I'll definitely write a post here about whether It works or not.

Once again thank you Saga Lout and Wolfshadw for the answers!

Blaston

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Yes.

Today I finally managed to get my hands on 4Gbs of DDR3L RAM and It works perfectly fine.
So if anyone with this type of Asus laptop (ASUS X552LDV-SX1030D) you can not use DDR3 RAM, you have to use DDR3L.
That should work great!

Have a nice day!