Solved! New to laptops and need advice which one to get

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey guys well im selling my desktop and gonna buy a laptop. I mostly want a laptop for multitasking , photoshop , some picture editing, music, internet and stuff like that maybe some minor gaming as i no longer have the time to do some hard core gaming which is why im selling my desktop. I want it to be portable so nothing to big i have around 1000 plus or minus dollars to buy a laptop. If you need any more info let me know, i read about dual cores and quad cores but i heard the quads heat up alot on the laptop so i dont know which one to get which is why im asking.

thanks

I'd suggest either an Asus or Clevo based laptop. Here's one source for both:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4

XoticPC is another but the above guys are usually a bit cheaper.

Keep in mind that most of the brands you have heard of do not actually "make" laptops. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
* Clevo sells to Alienware, WidowPC, FalconNorthwest, Sager and other "boutique" brands

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Dell Studio XPS 16. It has an i5 processor, 6 GB of RAM, and ATI HD5730 Mobility RadeonTM graphics. It is a great choice for photo and video editing and is just under $1000.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
1. What is your budget?

top is 1000 dollars plus or minus i dont wana really go above 1000.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

i want it to be light, and i do want a 17in one but 15 will do as well

3. What screen resolution do you want?

not really picky about that but the higher the better :)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

uh kinda both because im selling my desktop pc so i can get a laptop, i do want it to be portable thats the whole point of a laptop, dont want anything to big though.

5. How much battery life do you need?

the more the better, probably 5 hours or around there would be nice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

not picky about that wont really play any games on it but if i do it be counterstrike, on med or high, tf2, older games if anything.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

yup, movies n hd movies ,music, internet, burning cd/dvd, photo/ video editing, and just multitasking

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

200gb to 500gb will be enough if anything even 150gb should be fine but again the more the better

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

until it breaks lol :)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

cd/dvd writer/reader also bluray reader

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

hp, asus , toshiba, im open to new brands but not dell i just never liked them always heard bad stuff about them.

13. What country do you live in?

usa

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

not picky about this but i do want the laptop to have good speakers and thats about it

thanks and hopefully you guys can help me out and find the right one for me

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Sony Vaio EA series. It has an i5 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It won't have the full 5 hours of battery life, which is going to be a rare find with the specs and size that you have requested. It is also a bit smaller, with a 14" screen. However, it is great for multi-media purposes. What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You might also want to take a look at the Samsung QX410. It is also great for mult-media use and it has switchable graphics (which means you can get up to 7 hours of battery life). It also has an Express Charging Mode so you can get charged up quickly. It has an i5 processor and 4 GB of RAM.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
well dell i dont like i looked at it but i dont want a dell laptop, also i looked at that samsung qx410 and it seems nice except the battery is sealed in so if it doesnt hold charge ima have to send it in so the company can replace it which i dont like :(