New Toshiba satellite AMD 6 drive, 4mb RAM, very slow, hangs, doesn't respond

sarahme

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Is this a bad buy? Ever since I've had it, bought last September, this laptop has been very frustrating to use and worse than the old one it replaced. It hangs, programs "not responding" always, closes itself down without warning; battery cuts out at 35%, Word and other docs take ages to load...Still have windows 8.1 on, but wanted to upgrade to windows 10.

Is there something I can do to it or should I take it back to vendor or call Toshiba?
I bought another Toshiba - with a touch screen and ability to rotate the base through 360 deg - because my previous one was a Toshiba and it had gone very well, replaced it due to age and also because it was large and heavy. But now I'm tearing my hair out!

Hi,

Before calling Toshiba, I would suggest reinstalling Windows 8 first and see if the same problem will persist or not. Please use the link below for a complete guide on how to reinstall Windows 8.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/How-To-Understanding-System-Restore-Refresh-Reset-and-Recovery/ta-p/342690

If reinstalling Windows 8 will not solve the charging problem or automatic shutdown, please do these troubleshooting steps.
- Do test the AC adapter first if it's still working properly.
- Remove the battery off the laptop and connect just the AC adapter (charger) then see if the laptop will boot up normally.
- If the laptop will not boot up with just the AC adapter that could only mean that it's the AC adapter which is faulty.
- Do try a different charger as well just to be sure.