Solved! New TV Connecting to Old 5.1 Analog Audio

Nov 29, 2018
Hi there,

I just bought a new TV (Samsung NU6950) and have been intending to hook up my old 5.1 PC surround sound system (Logitech X-540). I realize the speaker system is intended for PCs, but assumed it should be possible to get a budget surround sound system with it.

The only audio output available is a Toslink optical output (or it seems, an HDMI arc output), and the speaker system has 3x 3.5mm jacks. I've done some research and it sounds like my only option is to get a receiver with a converter chip, but can't seem to find one that supports 5.1.

Do I have any options for recycling my old 5.1 system?

Thank you in advance!!

Solution
If you want to use an AV receiver then you would connect the 5 satellite speakers directly to that receiver. The sub out of the receiver would connect to the sub input on the Logitech subwoofer.
Using an AV receiver instead of an optical to 5.1 analog converter make sense if you want to upgrade from the Logitech speakers. Once you have the AVR you can replace the front three speakers first, the sub second, and the surround speakers last. You could even use the now redundant sats as side surround speakers if the AVR supports 7.1.
Nov 29, 2018

Thank you for the response! I'm actually not sure that's right. My speakers don't need to be plugged in; the only cables that run to them is the RCA wire. With that said, my understanding is that they're passive speakers; or am I totally off base?

I took a look at the receiver you linked and I'm not certain it would work either. For 1, it doesn't have HDMI or Toslink input capability; nor does it have 3.5mm jacks (needs 3). EDIT: Correction, it does look to have a Toslink input! It might work...would need to get a 3.5mm to 2RCA plug for the sub, but it might work.... Thanks for linking!

If speakers don't have power cords then indeed you have passive speakers and here, no choice but to get a surround receiver. Carefully, some low-end speakers are powered by USB 5V. Can get a used 5.1 receiver from eBay. All these exercises, it maybe cheaper to buy a new set of speakers with the proper interface. Are u attached to these speakers?

FYI, u don't see much 5.1 is simply marketing reason. Vendors are stuffing more and more channels, but is perfectly OK to run old 5.1 specially in a smaller room. You can buy 7.1, 9.1 whatever and simply tell it at configuration time, you only have 6 speakers. FYI only, getting a 9.1 receiver for your situation would be totally waste$$, unless you are planing to upgrade speakers in the near future.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rob636 : "New TV Connecting to Old 5.1 Analog Audio"

Nov 29, 2018

The volume knob is only attached to the sub, which does have a power cable. The 5 speakers do not have volume knobs, nor power cords

Then it IS an Active Speakers Set. The one amplifier in the sub powers the rest of the speakers. The single gain knob may control everything (Master Volume) or just to adjust the sub, only trying it will u know, or read the manual <gasp!>

If you want to use an AV receiver then you would connect the 5 satellite speakers directly to that receiver. The sub out of the receiver would connect to the sub input on the Logitech subwoofer.
Using an AV receiver instead of an optical to 5.1 analog converter make sense if you want to upgrade from the Logitech speakers. Once you have the AVR you can replace the front three speakers first, the sub second, and the surround speakers last. You could even use the now redundant sats as side surround speakers if the AVR supports 7.1.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS