Solved! New VR pc VARJO

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Hi all

So im going to build a new VR PC at the moment just wondering if anyone has found any leaked varjo specs yet? would love to buy one of these VR's at the end of the year when they are released but dont want to upgrade the PC again at the end of the year.

TIA

Solution

VR will remain a fluid...
RESOLUTION is just one aspect of VR.

Not sure your budget but I'd either stick with a Rift or Vive or else wait for the Vive Pro price to drop as it's expensive... sounds like the Vive Pro with all attachments will come as a complete kit later on.

I would not mess with any of the other VR HUD devices.

*Just one single issue can make your VR experience suck. Such as weight, movement/fit, screen responsiveness, connectivity options (60GHz wireless kit?), controllers and sensors for 3d space setup.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Fair point, I will wait until a bunch of people have the new headset first so I guess what I was really asking was will VR start to use more PC "power" trying to figure out future specs really.

https://www.roadtovr.com/varjo-bionic-display-headset-hands-on-mwc-2018-promising-shortcut-to-retina-resolution/

Concept is cool, but in practice they aren't there yet and it's unlikely they will get these tracking issues sorted out any time soon.

"Though Varjo CMO Jussi Mäkinen tells me that the company already has prototypes with an active focus display, it’s still up in the air whether or not Varjo’s first commercial product, which is planned for release later this year, will use a static or active focus display."

and
"Mäkinen told me that Varjo is for now focusing exclusively on enterprise and commercial applications for the headset, which the company initially expects to price between $5,000 and $10,000."

Uh... $5000+ ??

I think your best bet would be to buy the VIVE PRO as a kit once the sensors and controllers come out (and get the 60GHz wireless adapter):
https://www.vive.com/eu/product/vive-pro/

(it's just the HUD unit right now... you can get the old version as a kit but the new one isn't yet in a single kit)

VR will remain a fluid situation for quite some time with more demanding games coming. My advice is get a GTX1080 or better and a good CPU, depending on budget, such as the i5-8600K/i7-8700K (6-core) that will last.

You may want to hold off on the video card too as the new NVidia cards are coming which AFAIK will have:
1) Tensor Cores (for ray-tracing and other tasks... will be very SLOW to see games using this though), and
2) VR optimizations? (just a guess)

A GTX1080 and good CPU etc should run most games quite nicely so it really boils down to budget and if you can wait.

(also remember GPU prices are high right now due to crypto-mining etc so may drop a lot sometime in the next couple months).

Here's some info on DXR, tensor cores and ray-tracing:
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GDC-2018-Microsoft-Announces-DirectX-Raytracing-DXR

May see a demo in 2018, a game or three in 2019 so again it will be slow to come in.

*Tensor Cores and/or other card features might also be used to do 3D audio in VR as well more efficiently than what the NVidia Pascal GPU can do.

Solution

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
at the moment I have:
Corsair AX860i Platinum Power Supply
MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC Mini ITX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 7600K
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AORUS 11GB
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD --- for games
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD --- for windows

Im gonna have the new theater room done in around 2 months so would like to have it all up and going to install around then.. missing my VR after 2 months without it.

I dont think ill wait till the new cards come out they wont be out till December I cant go that long without VR.... If I need one in the future ill check this 1080 next to the other one in my gaming rig and upgrade if need be.