Newbie Questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-24, Joe Smith <joe@inwap.com> wrote:
>| In the case of a 1-minute overlap like this, I'd rather lose
>| 30 seconds of both shows (change channels at 9:59:30) but
>| TiVo does not allow that.

Well, TiVo does sort of allow it, you just have to hack your box (and then
modify the software you install since the current software lets you change
recording over- and under-laps by minute intervals but you should be able
to do 30 second intervals if that's your thing).

--
This is my .sig
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Seth seemed to utter in news:scKOe.458$Xo3.340@news01.roc.ny:
> I haven't seen any proof that suggestions are influenced. But the word
> "repeat" appearing (or not) in the description has little bearing on if
> TiVo thinks it is a repeat or not. OAD within 2 weeks=first run else
> repeat.

I saw an interesting listing yesterday on my DirecTiVo - the program
description had "Repeat, First Run" at the end of it. Seemed like
a contradiction to me.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
t r w 7
at
i x dot n e t c o m dot c o m
_______________________________________
 

seth

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2004
348
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Tim Witort" <trw7at@ixdot.netcomdotcom> wrote in message
news:Xns96BC6CA036B88timwitortwrotethis@207.217.125.201...
> Seth seemed to utter in news:scKOe.458$Xo3.340@news01.roc.ny:
>> I haven't seen any proof that suggestions are influenced. But the word
>> "repeat" appearing (or not) in the description has little bearing on if
>> TiVo thinks it is a repeat or not. OAD within 2 weeks=first run else
>> repeat.
>
> I saw an interesting listing yesterday on my DirecTiVo - the program
> description had "Repeat, First Run" at the end of it. Seemed like
> a contradiction to me.

Repeat because it isn't a new episode (for the series in question) first run
because it just hit that station in syndication. I see it alot on my
machine.

At least this is how it was explained to me when I queried about it a while
back in one of the TiVo forums.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"MegaZone" <newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org> wrote in message
news:newscache$39cpli$w8h1$1@sidehack.gweep.net...
> "Steve Latham" <llatham@verizon.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>>Ok, I think this is part of what I didn't understand. So it doesn't keep
>>the
>>first 5, it keeps the 5 most recent. Correct?
>
> If you set 'Keep Until I Delete' then my understanding is it will
> record 5, then stop, because it has 'at most' 5 and can't auto-delete.
>
> If you don't set KUID then yes, it keeps recording episodes and
> dropping the oldest one in a rotating stack.

That's what I wanted to know! Thanks

Steve
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Steve Latham wrote:
> "MegaZone" <newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org> wrote in message
> news:newscache$39cpli$w8h1$1@sidehack.gweep.net...
>
>>"Steve Latham" <llatham@verizon.net> shaped the electrons to say:
>>
>>>Ok, I think this is part of what I didn't understand. So it doesn't keep
>>>the
>>>first 5, it keeps the 5 most recent. Correct?
>>
>>If you set 'Keep Until I Delete' then my understanding is it will
>>record 5, then stop, because it has 'at most' 5 and can't auto-delete.
>>
>>If you don't set KUID then yes, it keeps recording episodes and
>>dropping the oldest one in a rotating stack.
>
>
> That's what I wanted to know! Thanks
>
> Steve
>
>

You're asking good relevent questions, but the interesting thing that
has always occurred to me is how well Tivo has addressed these items.
They've nearly always implemented the software in a way so that these
things get sorted out in the way you would have intuitively expected or
wanted them to.

Randy S.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message
news:vI2dnZ2dnZ2s--zLnZ2dnd0Dkd6dnZ2dRVn-yZ2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Steve Latham wrote:
>> obvously if I've got 2 going simultaneously, and a third comes on, it may
>> get bumped (I haven't figured out yet if TiVo is smart enough to pick the
>> free tuner).
>
> It is.
>
>> I would think it is, but one time it wouldn't let me have two season
>> passes at the same time
>
> It does allow two season passes as the same time.
>
> The problem I've run into is having four season passes on the same
> night when three channels were involved. In this case, the conflict
> was caused by a hidden 1-minute overlap.
>

I think this is most likely what happened. One of the shows is Whose Line is
it Anyway, and that's got a strange offset to it it seems.

Steve
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>Which confirms what Seth wrote. The episode number will prevent
>>duplicates, but since "Daily Show" has no episode numbers,
>>all showings are recorded.
>> -Joe
>
>
> So it boils down to which shows have episode numbers and which don't.
> These are generally invisible to the viewer.
>

Maybe, but not in the case of the Daily Show. Shows which list a guest
will have episode numbers. Those that list only the generic show
description don't.

Randy S.
 

Kurt

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
89
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <dejbur$tsq$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> >>Which confirms what Seth wrote. The episode number will prevent
> >>duplicates, but since "Daily Show" has no episode numbers,
> >>all showings are recorded.
> >> -Joe
> >
> >
> > So it boils down to which shows have episode numbers and which don't.
> > These are generally invisible to the viewer.
> >
>
> Maybe, but not in the case of the Daily Show. Shows which list a guest
> will have episode numbers. Those that list only the generic show
> description don't.
>
> Randy S.

I've figured that this must be the determining factor, though it doesn't
make it clear for anyone but those who can figure out the coded language
to know which is which. You'd think the process might be standardized
for all programs. We're moving into a DVR world, now.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

>>Maybe, but not in the case of the Daily Show. Shows which list a guest
>>will have episode numbers. Those that list only the generic show
>>description don't.
>>
>>Randy S.
>
>
> I've figured that this must be the determining factor, though it doesn't
> make it clear for anyone but those who can figure out the coded language
> to know which is which. You'd think the process might be standardized
> for all programs. We're moving into a DVR world, now.
>

Actually it really *isn't* the determining factor, but it's a damn good
indicator. The determining factor is a piece of metadata that isn't
displayed, just like the information that determines which post belongs
to which thread in this newsgroup (something that e-mail messages
*don't* have). It is standardized to some extent since more than one
service relies on this source of information. It's pretty typical to
manage metadata this way, and I'd expect to see more of it, not less.
What might be nice is a flag or indicator saying that a particular
recording was lacking required or helpful metadata.

Randy S.
 

Kurt

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
89
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <dek7gu$15ca$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> >>Maybe, but not in the case of the Daily Show. Shows which list a guest
> >>will have episode numbers. Those that list only the generic show
> >>description don't.
> >>
> >>Randy S.
> >
> >
> > I've figured that this must be the determining factor, though it doesn't
> > make it clear for anyone but those who can figure out the coded language
> > to know which is which. You'd think the process might be standardized
> > for all programs. We're moving into a DVR world, now.
> >
>
> Actually it really *isn't* the determining factor, but it's a damn good
> indicator. The determining factor is a piece of metadata that isn't
> displayed, just like the information that determines which post belongs
> to which thread in this newsgroup (something that e-mail messages
> *don't* have). It is standardized to some extent since more than one
> service relies on this source of information. It's pretty typical to
> manage metadata this way, and I'd expect to see more of it, not less.
> What might be nice is a flag or indicator saying that a particular
> recording was lacking required or helpful metadata.
>
> Randy S.

That would more clearly help the user.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:dejbur$tsq$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
> >>Which confirms what Seth wrote. The episode number will prevent
> >>duplicates, but since "Daily Show" has no episode numbers,
> >>all showings are recorded.
> >> -Joe
> >
> >
> > So it boils down to which shows have episode numbers and which don't.
> > These are generally invisible to the viewer.
> >
>
> Maybe, but not in the case of the Daily Show. Shows which list a guest
> will have episode numbers. Those that list only the generic show
> description don't.
>

Episodes with a generic show description rarely have original air dates.
If they include an original air date, it is often the date of the first show.

Generic show descriptions with the year listed first will have original
air dates. One example on Comedy Central is "Distraction".
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY