Newsweek: Microsoft Pushing Steve Ballmer Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The problem with outing Ballmer is that there's currently no apparent heir on the management team.

I'll take the job. Hell, I knew the XBox would never make them a dime when they announced it while I was in high-school (still hasn't, they're billions in the hole). I was interning there when MSN Search and their MSN music download services were the "new up-and-coming" ideas (both are now dead). I remember big talk of their Windows Mobile too, and all this was only 6 years ago (how the mighty have quickly fallen). Of course, I remember over-hearing a phone call of one of the managers there, she was actually BRAGGING about being on the management team that released Windows ME! BRAGGING! And she STILL WORKED THERE! This is surely a sign that no one over there is in touch with reality. I bet the managers and marketing people behind Vista are still working there too!

The simple fact of the matter is that Microsoft was never a leader in innovation, they always just bought or copied their competition out of existence. Their competition is too big to do that with these days (can't buy Google or Apple or Nintendo), so they have no way to compete.

maximus20895

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
They are just a old fashioned company. Apple comes up with new intriguing products that look sleek and are always improving. They know what people want. While Microsoft is dull and boring and is not innovative at all. They just copy and they can't even do that right.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Funny because the other day, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Microsoft is slipping more and more, and it seems inevitable now. The only bright spots I can see are their stranglehold on key software markets, but as free open source projects become more popular and Linux becomes more user-friendly and increases its compatibility, it's only a matter of time.

I suppose you could argue that Xbox and Microsoft's game division are a huge bright spot, but that division has been running in red until probably recently, and without Halo, it never would've made it past the original Xbox. And then the RROD fiasco and extended warranties, they're just burning money trying to stay competitive. All it takes is one negative console generation, and Xbox could go the way of Sega or Atari.

Microsoft is going to have to use brute force and a ton of money like they always do to succeed.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
People tend to forget that Microsoft is a software company holding a virtual monopoly with their operating systems and many applications that run on it. Do we really expect (or want) it to have the same success in other markets? "Bing will never catch google" .. Do you think Chrome will ever catch Windows?

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom] Hell, I knew the XBox would never make them a dime when they announced it while I was in high-school (still hasn't, they're billions in the hole). [/citation]

I wouldn't call the Xbox a failure. The 360 outsells the PS3 by a long shot and even the developers prefer it over the PS3. Even if the original Xbox didn't sell that well, it provided the needed exposure of the xbox platform to make the 360 a success.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
The problem with Microsoft is that with the exception of windows and office, all the other products are simply crap!!! And their management, that many described like geniuses, wasted millions on nothing, buying worthless companies that only had a decent idea and investing more millions in certain business areas (like Xbox), trying to be sucessfull by brute force, simply relying on their massive check book to make things work their way. I´m amazed that i took so long for people to see that Microsoft management was clueless instead of pure geniuses that knew so much more than others...

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]I wouldn't call the Xbox a failure. The 360 outsells the PS3 by a long shot...[/citation]

According to vgchartz.com around 2 million more PS3 units were sold than 360s in the past year. Going back to the beginning of 08 til now shows that the PS3 outsold the 360 by 1 million units. Of course they're both smashed by the Wii

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"and now holds the high ground in mobile phones, while Windows Mobile fades away" ... not to mention that Android is also in the picture.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I could not think of a dumber decision then ousting Balmer. Whenever one of these tech companies drops their founders, they always fall to the curb. How can you grow your business when your primary business has a 95% market share? The problem isn't Microsoft or its CEO, its a poor investment because its the big fish.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Every company has hits and misses, Microsoft under Ballmer have more misses than hits. I hope Microsoft will fire his ass.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]I wouldn't call the Xbox a failure. The 360 outsells the PS3 by a long shot and even the developers prefer it over the PS3. Even if the original Xbox didn't sell that well, it provided the needed exposure of the xbox platform to make the 360 a success.[/citation]

Do you realize that the PS3 has nearly surpassed 360 sales to-date in every territory other than NA? Not bad considering it was always more expensive, not to mention released a year later. Eventually they'll pass up Xbox 360 in NA as well, when even fools will start to realize how much better value a PS3 is not only in hardware, but software as well.

G

Interesting to see comments suggesting DRMsta = FAIL from MS perspective. Apparently lots of people paid for it. Presumably many paid for additional XP downgrade licenses that weren't included with low-end SKUs. Now they're paying again to move to DRMsta 7.

This is gold from a bean-counter perspective and furthermore has artificially pushed the puchase cost (whatever that means today) high enough to make the new rent/lease/pay forever model appeare attractive to some.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Hire me Microsoft. you will never regret
Prediction:
Stocks are back to normal in next 3 years.
Search market share up 30%
Product design and R&D and will be in position 1 for producing high quality products

Status
Not open for further replies.