Next lenovo y50 release date?

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hello, I am a big fan of the Y50 obviously with the GTX860m but I have a question - will there be a new Y lenovo in the next 4-6 months (most of the times there is a new one but it is weaker) or will there be another laptop which will be at approximately the same price but with a better gpu? I know the question is really stupid but if anyone has any approximate knowledge I will be really happy. Thanks!

Solution
Yeah, I mean the Y50 right now is a great purchase. I recommend it to a lot of people on these forums or in-person. For the price to performance value it's one of the best out there.

So if you're thinking of purchasing a Y50 now, I'd go for it since the difference in performance won't be as significant in 2015. The difference in performance will be when Pascal GPU's are released in 2016. :)
Hey!

I don't see Lenovo updating any time soon, but possible in the next 6 months it might. There shouldn't be any reason to update until the 2015 NVIDIA Pascal GPU's are released. Like most companies, Lenovo will most likely update when a new mobile component is released (new processor/new GPU).

I could be wrong, but unless there's a release from Intel/AMD/NVIDIA, I don't think Lenovo will update it till late 2014 or early 2015.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Ah thanks! Will check more about the Pascal and would be great if you could give me some info on what I could expect as in price/performance! And also I just read Pascal is to be expected in 2016? Thanks again.

You're right! I think NVIDIA might release it in 2016. :( This is based on some of the articles I've read. The Pascal GPU's will definitely be faster, lighter, and more power efficient (similiar to NVIDIA's past GPU upgrades). However, I'm unsure of the cost of the potentially updated Y50.

It shouldn't vary too much from the current cost of a Y50, but definitely if there was a price change, it'd be the higher end of 200-300 more. Since the Pascal GPU's may be released in 2016, I can see Lenovo updating their Y-Series line with new Intel Processors and this year's, 800M series GPU's. Since it's just a processor upgrade, I can't see the price changing too significantly for 2015.

You can refer to this for a history of Y-Series releases for Lenovo to predict a possible release - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IdeaPad_Y_Series#Y500)

Yeah, I mean the Y50 right now is a great purchase. I recommend it to a lot of people on these forums or in-person. For the price to performance value it's one of the best out there.

So if you're thinking of purchasing a Y50 now, I'd go for it since the difference in performance won't be as significant in 2015. The difference in performance will be when Pascal GPU's are released in 2016. :)

Solution