NFL and MLB Claim Aereo Will End Free Sports Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashwagon

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Wait, if they rent a pair of antenna's from an Aereo facility and stream it to their location what would be wrong with that? I like Aereo and if they had more channels I'd pick them over Comcast in a heartbeat.

stiqy

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
this makes no sense. Its broadcast. The same people can watch it with any HD antenna of their own, they are simply renting the reception and forwarding their own reception to their own location. the NFL is getting their $$ from CBS or FOX same as always. and the networks are getting their advertising dollars, same as always. what is actually different here?

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Lets ignore the fact that any of the other services can still do the same by having a local antenna installed on your house and integrating it with their guide system.

Lets also ignore the fact that both of these leagues (as all pro sports are) have been slowly moving ALL of their content off to paid cable providers to begin with.

Ioshua

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
It's hardly surprising that industry is moving to protect an exploitative business model from the threat of new technology. Broadcast TV is free because of commercials; we pay for the content by watching their product pitches. When someone uses Aereo, they are still subjected to commercials, and are therefore still paying for the content. The extra $8 to Aereo is for the service of putting my paid content in a more convenient place....phone, tablet, etc.

The fact that cable companies were able to get their customers to pay twice for content doesn't mean that the practice merits exclusivity.

Devoteicon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Pfft, there's already a million places online to get free streaming of sports games. The major networks want to hide behind paid subscriptions, go for it. I don't watch your shitty programming anyways.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
the NFL doesn't pay taxes and up to a few years ago major league baseball did not pay taxes. how many decades of free tax payer paid for stadiums and untaxed income did they get to enjoy, i say screw them i hate them all for making me pay for their stadiums because they whine 200 million is not enough profit after the 50 million they spend on players and other costs.

it is my sincere hope they go to paid for broadcasting networks. in 50 years it will be the death of them. as most of the people watching are on fixed incomes and live where you can't get cable, just satellite.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
As if the NFL doesn't already make enough money with "Sunday Ticket." If anything, this has brought more attention to Aereo, and people will start bringing their money to Aereo. Internet TV Streams is pretty much the future, and the smart thing for NFL and MLB to do is to hop on the train and help move it along.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Can't I just go out and buy a Slingbox and do the same thing Aereo is doing? It seems like the NFL and MLB should also go after everyone that owns a Slingbox.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
considering the only people I know who still watch NFL games on CBS/ABC etc. are like 40+ and don't even know what internet streaming video is, I really don't see how the threat to pull programming is at all viable. If anything they're just looking for a reason to get off of the free broadcasts and get a juicy exclusive deal with ESPN.

Professional sports leagues are retarded anyways. You'd never see the olympics threatening to do this sort of shit because those athletes actually have honour.

gunther27

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
what Ruth replied I am shocked that someone able to earn $5595 in four weeks on the internet. why not find out more....... www.Buzz16.com

nah51dog

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
you guys are not seeing the big picture here. i will give you an example of why the nfl wants to shut this service down.

example: i live in saint louis. at noon on sunday when she only game on tv is the rams, i cant watch any other game because they are all blacked out. slingbox does not help me in this situation because it hooks up to your tv in your house where i can only watch the rams. the only way i can watch another game is to get the nfl ticket which is stupid expensive for a person who is not a die hard fan. now what this aereo company is doing is giving me local access to all of the games from different places around the country. effectively ripping money out of the nfl's pocket by allowing me to view the game without purchasing the nfl ticket or redzone or any of the others.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
@nah51dog
Do you just make stuff when you don't know what you're talking about?
You can only watch shows in your local area and from your area.
If you go to the site you will see it is not available everywhere, if what you say was true I could just sign up and watch any local coverage where they have antennas. I would like to see Yankee games, which I only see when they come out west.

Aside from the cloud DVR which is great. The real appeal of this service is in dense cities where OTA TV reception is problematic. Other places can get great reception with the latest powered and nonowered antennas, and get all available channels as I do.

reagan_piper

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
my neighbor's mother makes $61/hour on the computer. She has been out of work for ten months but last month her pay was $17501 just working on the computer for a few hours. take a look at the site here...
Duℬ40.ℭℴℳ

Status
Not open for further replies.