Nintendo 3DS Processing Close to PS3, Xbox 360?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yeaaaaaah, no. Even 640x360 is only 1/4th the number of pixels of 1280x720, times two for two frames (3D). So, 1/2 the processing power of a 3-core 3.2GHz PowerPC CPU and a 500 MHz unified shaders GPU in a handheld? I'm not holding my breath for this claim to come true.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Let's be realistic here. Nintendo has never ever released powerhouse hardware system ever. They have always been on par or worse when it comes to hardware. Consoles and handhelds have been released that were superior to Nintendo's in terms of hardware since they entered with the NES and in each following generation. Nintendo however has great marketing strategy (not only to consumers but retail stores too) and of course they hold the rights to some of the most popular names in gaming history. This is what keeps Nintendo going and this is not going to change.

Besides this would not be a logical thing for any company to do as even if they could achieve such hardware specs in a handheld
the cost would be way to high and most consumers would be put off by it (Take as a example the Sega Game Gear and NoMad decent for their day but way too pricey and battery eaters) Then they would have to hope that third part developers actually make games for it which would be a unlikely case. Developers that makes games for handhelds like it because the development costs tend to be very cheap and quick while profits are decent. If you make a handheld that would compete with the modern console this would take away the two prime reasons to make games for it.

littleman29

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I highly doubt that this handheld console would be able to handle the GPU and CPU extensive games of this generation. Even an Intel Atom processor can't handle these next gen games, and it is about the size, if not a bit bigger, of these portable consoles. A PS3 has a 3.2GHz cell-processor, and I refuse to believe that they could put that on a device that's supposed to fit in your pocket. I wouldn't even think about putting the tri-core proc and the Xenos from the 360 in a tiny little case without fans; the 360 gets insanely hot with fans!

I can imagine that they'll come up with some new revolutionary gear that isn't like most stuff on the market today. I mean, the 360 and the PS3 are a few years old now and I would think Nintendo isn't sitting around picking their noses and stuff...

m3kw9

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Thing is 3DS has around 75% less pixels than HDTV's so it takes way less power to display something detailed and sharp on it. Comparing to HD Consoles, the sharpness, detail and FPS could remain the same using way less power. It's all about how it looks in comparison, not specs in literal term.

Status
Not open for further replies.