Nintendo 3DS Release Dates in 2011, Around $300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]Original gameboy: $90seems the price for the "cheap gaming handheld" just keeps going up.[/citation]
Didn't the original gameboy come out in like 86? That's well over twenty years ago.

gpog

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Price is high but this machine has impressed many that have tried it. Nintendo has shown they know how to build consoles and games that sell and satisfy. Also the Japan price doesn't necessarily translate to the U.S. price.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]Am I the only one who finds the 300$ price tag a bit high? Even more so if you are (like me) completely indifferent to the 3D part of it. Couldn't they make a 200$ 2DS[/citation]

They do, it's called the DS. There's also the DS lite and DSXL. You'll be surprised to learn that they cost under 200 dollars.
If 200 dollars still seems a bit steep a toy for your clumsy children, then you'll be pleased to learn that most of them are under 150 and will likely be further cut once the 3DS actually comes out.

If what they're promising holds true, the 3DS will blow minds. 3D without some stupid glasses that cost 200 themselves? Sounds like reasonable pricing to me. Add in the 3d camera and the ability to watch 3d movies and this is much cheaper than several thousand for a 3d theater setup. This one's for real gamers, not for your toddler's Pokemon collecting. Good luck finding something like 3d Ocarina of Time of Kid Icarus on your phones.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
$300? Can not afford in this economy. Sorry Nintendo. I was interested in it, but that's just too much coin for me. I will stick with my DS for the time being. It's still working great.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
$300 are they on crack? That's about 125 too much. Cmon nintendo the gameboy is supposed to be A. Durable B. Inexpensive.

The origional gameboy was under $100 when it debuted if I remember correctly. And I went through 3 of them when I was a kid. First fell off the top of a tv. Second the buttons wore out. Third I still have.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]They do, it's called the DS. There's also the DS lite and DSXL. You'll be surprised to learn that they cost under 200 dollars.If 200 dollars still seems a bit steep a toy for your clumsy children, then you'll be pleased to learn that most of them are under 150 and will likely be further cut once the 3DS actually comes out.If what they're promising holds true, the 3DS will blow minds. 3D without some stupid glasses that cost 200 themselves? Sounds like reasonable pricing to me. Add in the 3d camera and the ability to watch 3d movies and this is much cheaper than several thousand for a 3d theater setup. This one's for real gamers, not for your toddler's Pokemon collecting. Good luck finding something like 3d Ocarina of Time of Kid Icarus on your phones.[/citation]
Hey, I agree with most of this, but some real gamers play Pokemon. And most real gamers have played one, even if they didn't like it and didn't continue to play every iteration in the series.

senatorerj

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Japan's pricing has always been much higher, you can't put a lot of faith in a direct yen>dollar conversion:
DS at launch in Japan was $179.218 USD, US price $150
DSL at launch in Japan was $200.722 US price $129.99
DSi at launch in Japan was ~$230 US price was $170
DSiXL at Launch in Japan was ~$250 US price was $189.99

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
It'll probably be like 229-249 when it comes out here in the US. And it better come out before March 18 when I fly to Georgia. But I wonder if that 3DS is safe on planes. With all that wireless searching it's doing. I don't want to be on the news saying, flight crashed due to some guy playing his Nintendo 3DS.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
$300 seems too high but I'd wait to be so obnoxiously out-spoken about it until more is known than this speculation. Also, you don't need to comment every article about a product just to say, "I'm not buyin it!" Who cares?

G

$300, obviously this is thanks to the millions for Pirates and freeloathing microSD packed with free games in every chinese corner in every part of this Nation.

and inflation.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Nintendo seems a little different from the other makers. They like to make money on their consoles, and not so much on the games they sell. In this case, I think it's a mistake, since they think 3D is going to add so much. But, if no one sees it, what difference will it make? If it's so good, sell it at a loss (initially), and people will buy games like crazy, developers will see this and develop more, and everything works out. That seems better than selling it expensively, so fewer people buy it. Sony tried the expensive approach, and failed miserably until they brought it down. Nintendo is just repeating a mistake.

Some of it is the yen's strength against the dollar, though. But still, take a loss and make it up on games. That's the tried and true way to success for games, despite the Wii being the exception.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]suisenbenjo[/nom]$300 seems too high but I'd wait to be so obnoxiously out-spoken about it until more is known than this speculation. Also, you don't need to comment every article about a product just to say, "I'm not buyin it!" Who cares?[/citation]

i can't imagine them not giving you the ability to turn it off, in fact i'd think the fcc or faa would demand it, kind of liek how most smartphones have airplane mode and laptops have the ability to turn wifi off

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]senatorerj[/nom]Japan's pricing has always been much higher, you can't put a lot of faith in a direct yen>dollar conversion:DS at launch in Japan was $179.218 USD, US price $150DSL at launch in Japan was $200.722 US price $129.99DSi at launch in Japan was ~$230 US price was $170DSiXL at Launch in Japan was ~$250 US price was $189.99[/citation]
THANK YOU dude.. i was seriously doing a face palm reading all these "300$, no thanks" comments by people who haven't gotten a clue about the handhelds. The most I think the 3DS will go for is 250$, but it might even be as low as 230$. Nintendo isn't stupid to release a 300$ machine so people can go complain.

doughff

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
To put into further perspective on what aznguy0028 said, the 3DS is launching ¥5000 ($60) higher than the XL's original price of ¥20000 ($240 roughly).$60 on top of the original XL price in the United States of $190 comes to about $250. Still expensive? Maybe. But that's what people are paying for the PSPgo which is a not nearly as great of a value and how much people paid for the original PSP when it launched over 5 years ago.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]They do, it's called the DS. There's also the DS lite and DSXL. You'll be surprised to learn that they cost under 200 dollars.If 200 dollars still seems a bit steep a toy for your clumsy children, then you'll be pleased to learn that most of them are under 150 and will likely be further cut once the 3DS actually comes out.If what they're promising holds true, the 3DS will blow minds. 3D without some stupid glasses that cost 200 themselves? Sounds like reasonable pricing to me. Add in the 3d camera and the ability to watch 3d movies and this is much cheaper than several thousand for a 3d theater setup. This one's for real gamers, not for your toddler's Pokemon collecting. Good luck finding something like 3d Ocarina of Time of Kid Icarus on your phones.[/citation]

Somebody sounds like a big Nintendo fanboy to me. $300 is too high anyway you cut it.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]It'll probably be like 229-249 when it comes out here in the US.[/citation]
Ya... there often isn't an exact conversion in currency from one market to another. It's probably a bit too early to simply assume that the 3DS will cost $300 based solely on the provided information.

mafiafattony

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Why are people being so dam cheap what do people expect to give away such high advanced device.Quit being so cheap,Honestly go back to your box and if you rate this comment this down then your one cheap fuck.

stiehl

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
People are acting like handheld 3d is a thing of the past and nintendo is dumb to price something this high. Yes, this handheld is more expensive than you are used to, but the technology going into this specific handheld is beyond anything available right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.