Nintendo Hit With Dramatic Decline in Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
First, Nintendo can survive on their 1st party games alone... they've done it before. 2nd, we're talking declines from massive, massive sales over the years so this is more like a return to normal, but of course it looks sickening due to how large the decline is.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]The Portable gaming days are numbered. With cell phones now that are able to play games around the same level as a portable gaming system and can do much more, it was just a matter of time before Nintendo's portable gaming reign would start to come to an end. If Nintendo was smart they would create an hybrid portable gaming system that allows you to call text and download apps with a Nintendo based phone service network and heavily compete against cell phone companies on a global scale that you pay a monthly pay as you go fee each month.[/citation]

Portable gaming used to be for kids and that market still exists. 10year olds don't have iPhones.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Nintendo should have known by now that the 3d is NOT something consumers want as a STANDARD.

We have seen it for over a year in the low sales of 3d material compared to regular material.
The extra costs surely did factor into the problem, yet the technology itself made the users move away from it.
its in the early stages at best, since the quality is mid way and the potencial problems are many.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It doesn't seem surprising that after announcing the Wii-U sales goes down for Wii. summer 2012 is not that far away. As for the 3DS, they just have to turn that into a phone and all Apple stores in japan will have to shut down.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Nintendo makes a small loss for the first time in 30 years and people are thinking they're on a fast path to bankruptcy? It took Sega years of losses before they dumped their console making business. Nintendo aren't going anywhere.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]I think we maybe witnessing an end to the gaming giant. Or they might follow sega's route and drop the consoles[/citation]
One blip in their sales and you think they are headed towards bankruptcy? you're crazy

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Average people are saying what more mature gamers have said all along: the Wii is a fad. Most people I talk to say that their kids haven't played games on the thing since the 3-6 mths after they bought it where they did. Everyone playing games on it realize that there are better options available for motion gaming, especially since the Wii won't do HD graphics (and the Wii U is just a Wii with a new controller - and no multiplayer).

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Definitely hit a saturation point here - the people who want the hardware have it, and the number of compelling titles isn't great right now. Of course, Nintendo has been saving their best stuff for holiday release, but it remains to be seen if their numbers this year can match what they have done in previous holiday quarters - I'm betting not. Given how much they have sold the last few years, though, Nintendo will be fine for some time to come.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If Nintendo would just slap "cellphone/texting/3,4G" capability into its hardware, they would recapture their market. Probably easier said than done, but they need to do itbefore it is too late.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Nintendo needs to match competitor pricing, why are their first party titles so expensive even after being out on the market for years, they should have price drops.

Also, the Wii is old (or feels old) when compared to other consoles, and the 3DS battery life (as so I read) reminds me of the Sega GameGear I had as a child.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Portable gaming used to be for kids and that market still exists. 10year olds don't have iPhones.[/citation]

No but a lot of kids tghat have have cell phones capable of playing Nintendo Ds games though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've been saying since the Wii was released that it was just a marketing success that wouldn't last. Gimmicks sell when at first but have no lasting appeal. Look at the number of games per Wii vs xbox or ps.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have a Wii and enjoyed the New Super Mario Bros, and sort of liked the Mario Galaxy games. The DK game was great. Beyond that...eeeshh! I bought it when the red one came out and figured there would be some more Mario/DK/misc platformers on the way. Nope! Oh well. Lesson learned. I won't be buying their next console until it's ancient and cheap, and even then it will only be to play whatever new Mario game(s) are on it. I'm open to other platformers (the only worthwhile genre for Nintendo) but they just don't seem to have any good ones. Unless I'm overlooking them.

Graphics and sophistication aren't everything, but it's really hard to spend months playing 360/PS3 games in crisp HD with a solid controller (esp 360), and then you turn on your Wii and it's just all crappy looking and awkward.

G

And now they just realize that the same pokemon,mario,zelda,over and over again with just some enhanced gimmicks,wii full of showelware,4ds almost no games.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I still think that porting the classics or at least licensing the IP of things like Mario, DK and Yoshi for the smartphone gaming world can do wonders for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.