Nintendo Investors Annoyed With Lack of iOS Development

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I don't like how much control and credit Apple is getting as of late. Back in the day, Apple lost the PC war to Microsoft, just like Sony Betamax lost to the more open VHS. But today, things seem different. Sony won out with it's proprietary Blue Ray. And now Apple seems to be winning over Google with it's proprietary architecture. I think the reason things are topsey turvey is a flawed patent system and all the lawsuits flying around. If Obama can do one thing to save face over this debt fiasco, he should fix that.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
those investors probably dont know what nintendo is all about. Only know that theres money and someone else told them iOS makes more money. Nintendo sells alot of consoles and for cheap, you might as well just let nintendo do their thing because theyll most likely do it in a way thaqt makes alot of money. theyre already going very mainstream with a tablet approach, and bringing their franchises to another console/system is selling out very badly, and wont go well with fans.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]I don't like how much control and credit Apple is getting as of late. Back in the day, Apple lost the PC war to Microsoft, just like Sony Betamax lost to the more open VHS. But today, things seem different. Sony won out with it's proprietary Blue Ray. And now Apple seems to be winning over Google with it's proprietary architecture. I think the reason things are topsey turvey is a flawed patent system and all the lawsuits flying around. If Obama can do one thing to save face over this debt fiasco, he should fix that.[/citation]

Well said amigo, my sentiments as well.

"Nintendo should aggressively make acquisitions or increase returns to its shareholders," said Ii, president of Tokyo-based Commons Asset Management Inc., which held 2,200 Nintendo shares as of February. "It’s management’s task to consider how to make use of the cash."

SCREW greedy investors complaining about a lack of iOS support:
1.) All investors are there to make money, if you're not going to hold it for the long term, then freaking sell it already and make your money on the way back up. Maybe buy some more, lower your average.
2.) Having worked for an Investor Relations firm, I can tell you firsthand there are a lot of fucking crazy people "investing". By "investing" i mean buying random stocks without any Due Diligence and bitching out the IR guy when the stock price falls / there is no "Press Release / Filing"
3.) Translating the above quote to english "Nintendo should make more money and hand out cash dividends to investors- like me; I really don't have any concept about the video game industry but I want to play Nintendo on my iPad- because I love steve jobs".
4.) I hate Apple - they don't encourage innovation or competition- they just want a monopoly on "the future of computers".
5.) If I ever see Steve Job's he's getting an egg to the face. Or maybe a water-bottle (justin bieber style). Why? Because I very much dislike powerful corporations which use their power as leverage to discourage advancements and a "laissez faire" type business model.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tranzz[/nom]Nintendo would be foolish to develop for apple products. A 30% tax on all gaming profits and helping propel their biggest rival more casy would be stupid. If they wanted to branch out android is a better bet. They would have a better position to negotiate temrs and google would likely jump at the opertunity to expand games for tablets and smartphones.[/citation]
Amusingly, isn't charging high licensing fees one of the things Nintendo used to do?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I say meet them half way. Continue with the handheld consoles as they produce the better gaming experience. As for smartphones I say Nintendo should consider supporting Android and iOS but only with retro games. The classic retro games will not only sell well but they are better games than most modern smartphone games.

It is apparent however that handheld consoles and phones are merging. Nintendo does need to look to the future and address this issue. Nintendo has had a firm grip on the handheld market since the Gameboy. and I am sure they have future plans to address this issue.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"If they release a smart phone 2Ghz Quad-Core using latest greatest GPU with Android OS, using high quality controller and 4.5" screen."Compare the actual specs of a Wii to a typical smartphone and I think you'll find that the phone is already well beyond the Wii levels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications]Most smartphones and tablets should have no problem handling games pretty much in the middle of a Wii and PS3[/citation]
So how does a dedicated gaming only PowerPC CPU compare to a general must run anything made for it ARM CPU? I'm guessing the Wii still outdoes phones mostly cause of the optimization they can do to make the games and programs on the Wii run VERY well. You really can't compare 2 different architectures MHz to MHz it won't work. I'm almost positive given the same hardware a Wii system would still greatly outperform a phone for the same reason.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
so basically @ Nintendo the Administration is like the blind leading the blind.
even with given the option for lasik surgery, they like to keep the sunglasses on and not see the light..

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Why are these idiot always trying to tell Nintendo what to do? The President of Nintendo understands what they are, and I agree with him. I think the investors are just trying to manipulate the stocks to go lower so then can gobble them up at a lower price. Nintendo is gonna make tons of cash once the Wii U hits.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"Investors" are one of the main factors for the recession. They're out to make as much money as possible no matter what the cost, and follow only profit charts/graphs and trading rumors. They likely jumped on board after Wii was successful.

But as someone already stated, it wouldn't hurt to bring Virtual Console to a cell platform. Not only are most old school console games better than App store games, they also spread the company name and quality. There are a lot of people who have jumped ship to phone gaming, it would be preferable to remind them of what quality games are like to bring them back, after which they could be convinced to buy full games.

There is still a market for dedicated handhelds for gaming though, just like there's still a market for mp3 players, cameras, and other devices. Smartphones can do a lot of things, but they can't do many of them WELL, and they usually aren't cheap either unless you don't mind getting stuck with a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.