Nintendo, Sega Talk Future Console Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I was just running SNES roms on my Dreamcast the other day. Oh the sheer vintage joy!

We're never gonna get up-to-date hardware from the current console producers. But Sega no longer has the *UMPH* to put out a console again, especially after they got burned on the DC.

Also, way back when consoles were fun (1993-1998?) we didn't have computers that could game with any remarkable visuals, consoles did.

What games were you playing on your computer while your little brother was playing Mario64, DK64, FFXII, or even Hydro Thunder on the DC?

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Dreamcast was better than all the other consoles of its time too... I would love to see Sega come back. Also if they could smack some sense into the Sonic Team while they are at it, that would be great too.

G

@bhaberle

For sure! But really, there is no point in dreaming.. the old Sega guys are long gone, and Sonic team has lost it. That new Sonic 4 game doesn't look like it has the animation right (too much like rush)! It is made by the same people that put out the Rush DS games also, right? In any case, there won't be a return to the classic days anymore! This new generation is happy with the stuff coming out nowadays.

scubagon

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
@ NapoleonDK:

"Also, way back when consoles were fun (1993-1998?) we didn't have computers that could game with any remarkable visuals, consoles did.

What games were you playing on your computer while your little brother was playing Mario64, DK64, FFXII, or even Hydro Thunder on the DC?"

Allow me to educate you.

1993: Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle, Betrayal at Krondor, X-COM: UFO Defense, Doom

1994: Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

1995: Full Throttle, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Descent

1996: Quake, Diablo, Duke Nukem 3D, Civilization II

1997: Quake II, Fallout, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

1998: Starcraft, Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit, Half Life (I didn't care much for it, but it was and still is extremely popular and was very detailed for its time)

PCs had much better graphic capabilites than you realized.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
1994: Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Doom 2: Hell on Earth, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

1995: Full Throttle, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Descent

1996: Quake, Diablo, Duke Nukem 3D, Civilization II

1997: Quake II, Fallout, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

1998: Starcraft,

Seeing 4 major releases from Blizzard in 5 years almost made me call you a liar, but then I remembered that they didn't always wait many years between releases... I miss those days.

G

SEGA is packing it up as a packaged multiplatformer publisher and as of June 2012 will no longer publish 3rd party boxed IPs, all multiplatform titles from that time foward will be digital and downloadable only. A select amount of old SEGA classics are getting HD revamps and remakes. This version will be DLC for PSN.

SEGA is also secretly hard at work on new hardware. They filed a game tablet trademark in March of this year called "KIDS PAD" which is set to be unveiled very soon and are preparing to roll out a new cutting edge 512-bit arcade board called "RINGWAVE" which will replace the RINGEDGE next year. The board was supposed to be annouced at JAMMA this year, but since the board uses PC silicon that's unvailible to the OEM market namely Nvidia's top secret mircoprocessor "Denver" and Imagination Tech graphics techology, since both NVIDIA Denver and Imagination Tech NEC Power VR 6 aren't ready for prototype demos, SEGA changed plans and instead is waiting for cue from Nvidia and IM for unveiling.

The board MAY also already have a console version codenamed "Project Futura" a SCEI Europe survey in August listed a prototype system called "Sega Futura".

SEGA also plans on reverting back to "Sega Enterprises" brand next summer as they renewed the brand name trademark late in 2009 for home game machines.

SEGA has BIG plans for 2012, which explains why Sega of Japan has not annouced support for Wii U, why SEGA isn't developing many games for 3DS and Vita and why they're new IPs are downloadable only.

Here's the KIDS PAD trademark filed earlier this year

http://www.trademarkia.com/kids-pad-85264286.html

The date it was filed should tell everyone why nobody has ever heard about it yet.

SEGA's original hardware brand trademark:

http://www.trademarkia.com/sega-73742284.html

Renewed and Reregistered in November 2009.

Sony has no plans for a Playstation 4. They've amassed a near $15 billion dollar budget on PS3 & have lost $10 billion on it. They spent 7 years developing it.(1999-2005) They must keep it going. They've put all thier hopes into Vita & are upgrading PS3 so it can outpreform Wii U. MS is putting the finishing touches on Xbox 3 which is codenamed "Bulldozer". Nintendo is having a VERY HARD time trying to get Japanese Wii U support. Most JP publishers aren't convinced its a cutting edge machine & will be releasing bigger anticpated titles for PS3/360 the same time Wii U launches.

SEGA has spent 10 long years as a multiplatform publisher, however, this gen has not been kind to them. The budget busting hardware of PS3/360 has made it hard for SEGA's overseas IPs. And in Japan where SEGA is loved,popluar & profitable, SEGASammy has seen revenue rise 20% in the past 3 years. They cannot spend anymore money on hardware they can't adapt to & thier brand name can't compete with the likes of BIG Western publishers, so the option for thier 3rd party market is digital content. Its cheaper, & more profitable for them.

SEGA wants to sell the KIDS PAD as a niche tablet, with it using Power VR 5 graphics like PSV & with running apps at 720p, KP will be a pretty strong hybrid.

Despite the success of the RING series, SEGA wants something FAR more powerful. And hopes it can convince people they can put out a strong console.

Status
Not open for further replies.