Nintendo Switch 2 looks like it will get an LCD screen — here’s why I’m out

Jan 27, 2024
While the info looks pretty solid, we haven't actually heard from Nintendo on it just yet. Perhaps they might put out an OLED model like before. LCD is cheaper for the consumer which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the cost of living these days. I'm just not one to get excited, nor upset until Nintendo breaks their silence on their next console. Logically it would at least be a 4k LCD, but once you connect to the dock the switch display no longer matters. So I'm hoping the next dock will offer better than 1080. Hopefully the next console or switch 2 will be both 4k on handheld and on the dock instead of 720 & 1080.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024
Why can't we just stop writing articles that complain about information that has no factual basis? These rumours have been floating around for over 5 years. Just wait for Nintendo to say something.

Furthermore, if you are going to give up on all things Nintendo for an entire generation (which was almost a decade this time, by the way) purely because of the portable screen, you have no place writing gaming articles. This is frankly, a pathetic take.

But by all means, keep on writing ridiculous articles about unconfirmed information. You do you!

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: six6sixwitch
Jan 28, 2024
That's cause OLED screens are worse for your eyes. Look it up. I have 2 OLED switches and one LCD. OLED looks better but I don't think by that much.

Mar 7, 2023
C'mon man. There's more to a display's quality than just the display technology. You'd be foolish to think the next console would look anywhere near as bad as the budget IPS they put in the original Switch which was weak even for the time. Don't get me wrong "W-OLED" is probably the peak of display technologies currently IMO but they all have downsides and many can look good. Even some TN panels can look phenomenal nowadays.

A very safe prediction is a 1080p 120hz 8inch IPS panel. In some ways specifically it won't look as beautiful as the Switch OLED or Steam Deck OLED but it will be better in other ways and more importantly cost-effective.

Jan 16, 2024
This is just a weird click-baity take. First off, LCD tech has come quite a ways in these last few years in terms of display quality. A new LCD screen for the Switch 2 will be a definite upgrade from the original all around and it's crazy to suggest other wise. Second, OLED's are still problematic and WILL eventually burn in. Wulff Den did a pretty comprehensive test on this. It takes a ridiculously long time but it did happen. 3rd, OF COURSE, you're buying the Switch 2 - regardless of screen type. Nintendo has always had these weird compromises with their hardware and ultimately ends up amounting to nothing in the end. The original Switch was rife with them (borked online capabilities, plain boring UI, etc.). Didn't make a difference -- damn things sold like crazy anyway.

Last edited:

CGCYT1991

Commendable
Aug 17, 2021
I have no idea how to respond to this but I will say this OLED screens are overrated and exaggerated I will never understand what's so amazing about OLED display? all it does is pop in more colors and drain your battery faster it also has a burn in problem which is why I often choose LED over OLED some of my friends who is addicted to OLED display they often have to repair their TV or buy a new one because OLED screens are not designed to last forever but it's completely different with LCD / LED televisions they are designed to last extremely long time because they are energy efficient they have no burn in problem that's why Nintendo always goes with LED display they only added a OLED Switch model for those who want to play their Switch games with a OLED display some people have already complained the battery drains faster and the screen gets hot another problem with OLED display it can seriously hurt your eyes that's why I traded my original PS Vita which had a OLED display with a PS Vita slim which has a LCD display which still looks amazing so it makes logical sense when Switch 2 comes out this year it will have a LCD screen and I'll gladly buy it

Reactions: six6sixwitch
Mar 7, 2023
I have no idea how to respond to this but I will say this OLED screens are overrated and exaggerated I will never understand what's so amazing about OLED display? all it does is pop in more colors and drain your battery faster it also has a burn in problem which is why I often choose LED over OLED some of my friends who is addicted to OLED display they often have to repair their TV or buy a new one because OLED screens are not designed to last forever but it's completely different with LCD / LED televisions they are designed to last extremely long time because they are energy efficient they have no burn in problem that's why Nintendo always goes with LED display they only added a OLED Switch model for those who want to play their Switch games with a OLED display some people have already complained the battery drains faster and the screen gets hot another problem with OLED display it can seriously hurt your eyes that's why I traded my original PS Vita which had a OLED display with a PS Vita slim which has a LCD display which still looks amazing so it makes logical sense when Switch 2 comes out this year it will have a LCD screen and I'll gladly buy it
I say this with no malicious, I am trying to be 100% genuine, I don't even have many OLED displays, but I think most of what you said is incorrect (I am not trying to be mean, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I'm wrong about too). But you got some stuff extremely backwards I don't know how else to say it.

A few of the main benefits to OLED is lower battery life consumption and less heat generated. One of the main drawbacks to OLED is less brightness. Burn out is a problem but it isn't something you have to worry about on many OLED displays basically at all nowadays.

There are some few bad OLED TV's out there from last gen especially. But other TV's aren't designed to last forever and poor luck can ruin your experience on those too.

I agree I am fine with the next console not being OLED there's plenty of other outstanding display technology and you don't need it to get a great picture, (however WOLED is sometimes king for gaming and TV/movies on the high end often when money is not limited). I think the Switch 2 even without OLED will look way better than the considered poor looking screen on the OG (non-oled) Switch.

No modern display (including oled) will hurt your eyes, that's an old wife's tale myth, like the moon being made out of cheese.

TLDR:
OLEDs blow other screens out of the water especially when it comes to gaming in all three major areas: 1) motion clarity (ghosting, inverse ghosting, pixel latency, response time), 2) contrast (literally infinite something IPS and VA panels can only dream of), 3) color reproduction on high end >$800 OLEDs is phenomenal and approaching the limit of what's possible.

If you look at a spreadsheet at what they define as the ideal hypothetical best display OLEDs pass that sheet with flying colors ( near perfect, perfect, perfect). And if you ask any tv purist, or movie fan you'll get the same answer as OLED is considered the gold standard for high end movies/TV too. Although they do have their drawbacks of course.