Nintendo to Take a Loss on Each 3DS Sold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
well, the president of Nintendo cut his pay by 50% after this, I really cant hate on someone who does that for his company. I hope they get out of their troubles, and start releasing good games.

damric

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Better to take a loss and flood the market than to have the competition gain market share.

The main thing going to rival these is all of the cheap tablets arriving.

To spend $200 on another handheld (which my kids and wife have shown that they will play it to death), or to spend 3x or more and get a tablet...

Maybe Nintendo should forget about consoles and small hand-helds and make a tablet video game system. Mario could then kill the i-pad.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Nintendo is just being really aggressive. They want to hold on to their market share lead and looks like they also want to expand it, thus the aggressive pricing. I still don't think they are taking much of a loss per unit. But this is good for consumers.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Last Saturday my neighbor's kids were playing in their backyard. They were having fun with cardboard boxes. Their mother helped out a bit with scissors and duct tape. Definitely a cheap alternative to portable game devices.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Geekapproved[/nom]EVERY game console maker takes a loss on the units, DUH! The money is made in the games. This is supposed to be news??[/citation]
umm... sorry, but that's not true.

sourcerer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I wonder if price slashing is gonna help. I kinda feel the market for 'deep' games is kinda saturated. Alot of people still have one form or another of DS. If they want something deep I think thet're gonna play their PC or console at home. If they want something light and to pass the time I think they're gonna plop down a few bucks for an Android or iOS game.

Not saying there won't be or isn't a market for handheld games, but I think the cows have moved on to other pastures. Handheld gaming and console gaming used to be a new and trendy market and it attracted alot of newcomers over the years. I think alot of them are now about to move on to less expensive or time-consuming pursuits and leave the smaller, but more 'hard-core' gaming market behind. This means there'll be less profits for alot of companies and the market will contract (Maybe collapse??) a bit.

There'll probably still be someone dolling out handheld games, but there won't be as many makers of games for the segment and the games will be a bit more expensive and of lesser or greater quality.

I'm not at all for smartphone gaming or tablet gaming. I think the games are incredibly subpar as a whole and detract sales from superior gaming platforms. But what can you do? At least the casual gamers are leaving the hardcore markets for those who cater exclusively to them. Maybe the games (console and pc) will actually start evolving now?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Why do I always think marketing scheme when a company comes out and says this?

They must be adding up all this extra cost and putting it in the pot. SO until we pay off this few million we spent on advertising then we'll be making money per 3DS, until then we're just catching up!

That's how I see it, bullshit.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Taking a loss?? I thought the reason it was soooo expensive to begin with was because of the hype it got last year at E3.
Way to release new hardware with little to no software...and dang that depth perception hurts my eyes within seconds, man if this is the future of 3D, I'm going to be left out :S

G

Im pretty sure theres dumping laws against selling imports for a loss... Nintendo (Japan) cannot legally sell DS whatevers for a loss in the US..

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Nintendo will be fine everyone should know this, And stop putting them down their one of the few video game companies that care about single player games not this COD crap. I WANT LONG GAMES WITH GREAT STORY's not 4 hour games with bad story's FPS games are so boring best are adventure and Strategy.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
This is Nintendo's fault. They just won't accept the blame like a modest and manly company. What parent will buy their kid a 3DS after they have already gotten them either a DS, DS Lite, DSi and/or DSi XL?? This is madness (No, this isn't Sparta), you can't expect kids flocking with their parents money or credit card to buy this after the only difference between a 3DS and everything else is 3D capability. Especially with Amerika taking it up the economical ass.

R.I.P. Handheld gaming, 1989 - 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.