No Audio in TV connected to my TV!

CaptBJ

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I have a Samsung TV connected to my Toshiba laptop via an HDMI cable. Up to a couple of days ago, everything was working just fine, however, now I'm not getting any sound through the TV--but I AM getting sound through the laptop speakers.

I thought about doing a "System Restore" a week back, when I know for sure that everything was working just fine, however, when I looked into this, I noticed that the only point being offered, was for just 2 days ago, as there was a "Critical Update," so that wouldn't do me any good, as I was having the problem 2 days ago.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Solution
Apparently some special audio enhancement available on your HDTV is incompatible with the Windows driver or vendor's driver for the Toshiba's audio chip. You may try going to Toshiba's web page for your laptop and see if newer audio drivers are available.

But if all is working, and there's no yellow flags in Device manager, I don't think it will be an issue to leave it as is. But, remember, you will have to make your laptop speakers the default again when you disconnect the laptop from the TV.

CaptBJ

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

I did as you suggested. When I clicked on When I clicked on "Manage Audio Devices" or"Change System Sounds," ( I tried both), I got a POP UP that said:

"Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:
Samsung (Intel(R) Display Audio)
Would you like to disable Driver Enhancements for this device?"

I clicked "No" and then I got a window that listed THREE devices--two of which were "Samsung."
The 1st one said:
Samsung (Intel(R) Display Audio)-Ready but no green check mark on it

The 2nd one said:
Samsung (Intel(R) Display Audio)-Ready & had a green check mark on it

The 3rd one said:
Speakers-Real Tech High Definition Audio-Ready & had a green check mark on it

I FIRST selected the 2nd one, since the first didn't even have a check mark on it.
I made it the "Default" device & clicked "Ok"

Unfortunately, when I did THIS, I no longer received ANY sound--not even through the laptop speakers.
So,I went back & selected the 1st one, & did the same. It seems to be working fine now. None of the other ones have a green check mark on them, but say "Ready"

I AM a bit concerned about the "POP UP" message I got (& STILL get when I go through this procedure).
So, even though I can hear everything through the TV now, it appears as though "Windows has detected that audio enhancement" issue with my Samsung TV.

Any suggestions?

clutchc

Distinguished
Apparently some special audio enhancement available on your HDTV is incompatible with the Windows driver or vendor's driver for the Toshiba's audio chip. You may try going to Toshiba's web page for your laptop and see if newer audio drivers are available.

But if all is working, and there's no yellow flags in Device manager, I don't think it will be an issue to leave it as is. But, remember, you will have to make your laptop speakers the default again when you disconnect the laptop from the TV.

Solution

CaptBJ

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

THANKS! I sure hope there are some newer drivers. It's gotta be tied to the recent update that happened right at this same time.