Question No audio input (realtek alc892)

Dec 22, 2020
I built a pc, onboard audio (MSI b450 gaming max plus mobo - Realtek ALC892) (case has audio input also - Matrexx 70).

1. Audio out is perfect.
  2. Mic is recognized when plugged in to new PC.
  3. Mic works on any other device
  4. Mic will not pic up voice on new pc.
I have tried everything from bios versions and settings to driver versions and privacy settings, I have looked at every possible volume setting, I have been to device manager, I have ran the troubleshooter, I have tried 3 different mics, every single audio port on the computer. I have changed windows versions as well. Oh, and online sites like mictest.com tell me straight up that its working and the information about my headset yet no audio gets recorded when I'm screaming into my mic.

I feel like I've gone mad. Cannot even be the port itself as there is a mic port built in to my case and one with the motherboard that both recognize mics but do not pic up their audio.
I'm sure thousands of other posts on this but seriously, I tried the entire internet of troubleshooting. Every post on reddit and here and anywhere that showed up on google.

Literally begging for any new advice. I don't even care if it doesn't work, I am just so sick of "check permissions" "get a new mic". Can't even find something new to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
What mics exactly are you using on the system? You were talking about a headset, and mics, those are not exactly the same thing and can use different connections. This never worked since you built the system? Does the mic level test move when you speak into the mic?

Dec 22, 2020
What mics exactly are you using on the system? You were talking about a headset, and mics, those are not exactly the same thing and can use different connections. This never worked since you built the system? Does the mic level test move when you speak into the mic?

Mic level test doesn't move (well, it would sometimes but not in relation to noise, just randomly). I have tried a USB microphone and multiple headphones with built in mics. 1 JBL, 1 Bose, 1 Marley ear buds. At2020 usb mic. Has never worked since building it. I have tried playing with gain etc to confirm that the volume wasn't too low.