No, I'm not kidding. FAQ

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Right now Woot has an MSI X600 for 504 shipped. Strongly considering purchasing unless someone can come up with a better deal.

1_What is your budget?
Less than $600 USD including all taxes, fees, excises, duties, grafts, kickbacks, earmarks, and doctors visits) preferable

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Smaller than a breadbox. . ha, no. no more than 15.4 / 15.6

3_What screen resolution do you want?
MORE!

I'd like to exceed 1366 x 768 / 1280 x 800, but my research tells me that's a tall order at this price point)

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable -- Less than 6lbs / 2.73 kilograms

5_How much battery life do you need?
Minimum 4 hours. 6 hours preferred

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I WISH!, but no, this isn't for me. No games of any kind

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Media. There's some 2D modeling programs that need to be run and some rudimentary database like apps. The recommended CPU class is P4 2.6 Ghz or better.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Unimportant

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
[/i]Newegg charges tax in my state, so be careful. Otherwise, I don't care.[/i]

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2.5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None required

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Well, obviously I like Lenovo. Especially the U series and the T series, but alas ees too much dough at this point. I guess I can't be picky here.

13_What country do you live in?
United States of America. . . such as it is

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That's not a terrible price, but you do realize that it's a single core processor.

Personally, I'd get something that was dual-core in that price range, but that's just me.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Ok, so I did not end up buying the thing. I was enticed by the slightly less portable off lease Precision M65 s / Latitude 830 s floating around-- $460 or less. Or even putting an unreasonable bid on a new T400.