No sound after 15mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuggs1977

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hi all im having a really frustrating problem with my laptop so here goes.For some reason the sound on my laptop dissapears after 15mins of being turned on this has only just started happening never had a problem with it before,but when i plug my headphones in all is fine and the sound never goes off at all.I have tried uninstalling driver reinstalling drivers ive run virus checks and all that kind of stuff,ive also got into the sound properties and made sure the sound i want is enabled ive even done a full reinstall of windows 7 and still im facing this problem.When the sound does cut off i still see the volume bar jumping up and down like theres sound playing but im hearing nothing until i plug my headset in or until i reboot the laptop and again it will go off after 15 mins.So ive tried all i know and im hoping somebody here can help me in this matter as its driving me mad.My laptop is a MSI MS-16y1 Windows 7 thanks in advance.

samlarz13

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
That's really strange. Have you heard of a rooted virus? They're really nasty ones that are in your registry or program files. Sometimes even after a clean install they can linger. I would go through your program directories and look for any strange folders or files. They have a tendency to change locations as well so make sure you check all of the folders.

gordonstheman

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Does the volume option in the system tray freeze when you try to use it? I had a similar problem where it would randomly stop working and if i clicked on it in the system tray it would go through the whole "not responding" and "do you want to wait for it to start working?" gig. Drivers didn't help but i did have to do some registry digging to clean out a nasty virus and finished it off with a fresh OS install.

Haven't had an issue in over 2 years, but don't know if its the same issue.

Does it happen while running certain programs or its completely random?

chuggs1977

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey thanks for the replies.It happens all the time soon as i boot up the laptop go on something like twitch or anything like sky go after around 15 mins the sound goes off,the volume bar dosent freeze or anything like that it just works as normal i can see the volume bouncing up and down as if the volume was there but it isnt until i rebboot or plug headphones in.Ill have a look around to see if i can find anything dodgy where do u suggest i look could u point me in the right direction please as this kind of thing im pretty new to as in look in registry or some kind of specific file etc, thanks again for the replies i hope i can get this sorted.

gordonstheman

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
You must be extremely careful when looking into the registry because if you delete something there's almost no going back especially if it's important. I would first get the free version of CCleaner and do the registry cleaner first and make sure when it asks you, you back up your registry. I had a virus from Google chrome so I was able to find the name of it in chromes settings.

Your registry has a 'find' option just like hitting the f3 key on a web page.

If you figure out the name of a virus you might have 'find' search it in the registry and see what comes up. Chances are it's unneeded.

I would read a lot about using the registry before you start flipping through your root and user keys and start deleting stuff.

Get CCleaner and Malwarebytes free versions.

chuggs1977

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hi there yeah ive run cc cleaner and malwarye bytes ive have also had a good look around in the registry etc nothing seems to be utoward there just dont seem to be able to get my head around wats going on, i mean i could get a couple of speakers and play sound through them but it annoys me that i cant sort this problem out ill keep trying i may have to take it to somebody who knows a little more than me but ive nvere run into a problem i cannot fix myself :(

Sep 13, 2022
Hi all im having a really frustrating problem with my laptop so here goes.For some reason the sound on my laptop dissapears after 15mins of being turned on this has only just started happening never had a problem with it before,but when i plug my headphones in all is fine and the sound never goes off at all.I have tried uninstalling driver reinstalling drivers ive run virus checks and all that kind of stuff,ive also got into the sound properties and made sure the sound i want is enabled ive even done a full reinstall of windows 7 and still im facing this problem.When the sound does cut off i still see the volume bar jumping up and down like theres sound playing but im hearing nothing until i plug my headset in or until i reboot the laptop and again it will go off after 15 mins.So ive tried all i know and im hoping somebody here can help me in this matter as its driving me mad.My laptop is a MSI MS-16y1 Windows 7 thanks in advance.
Hi. You remember how You fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.