No surround sound after headphones repair

Gabe_BTG

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
The jack from my Phillips SHL3000RD headphones had broken and i changed it with a new one. I soldered everything in order, but now the sound is stereo and not surround. What could be the reason?

Solution

So you guessed about what those 2 wired did, that does not sound like you soldered "everything in order". Find out what the wiring configuration on the headset should be, you may need to contact customer support or do a web search for wiring diagram for your headset.

Only thing that can be is that you did not actually solder things in the same way they were, or the jack you replaced it with was not the same one.

Gabe_BTG

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

Well I bought a new one, a stereo 3.5mm Jack, and I soldered the Left and Right wires at their places, but there were another 2 wires, not only one, that were copper-colored, so i soldered them together to the "ground" part of the Jack.
Is it maybe that the 2 copper wires had do be soldered somehow else?

Gabe_BTG

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

It has only one, so if it is thhrough software what's the best way to find out if the surround is really working?
I tried with some surround audio and my pc's and phone's outputs were set to Surround and not Stereo.

So you guessed about what those 2 wired did, that does not sound like you soldered "everything in order". Find out what the wiring configuration on the headset should be, you may need to contact customer support or do a web search for wiring diagram for your headset.

Solution

sizzling

Distinguished

What software were you using before to simulate surround sound? A single 3.5mm jack is only going to support 2 headphone speakers so the only option for surround is software virtual surround.