No surround sound on TV

Surette

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
I have an Sylvania home theater system 5 speakers and a sub-woofer it also has a DVD players...but no HDMI,just RCA If i am playing a DVD I get surround sound from the speakers,but if i am just watching TV my surround sound doesn't work. I'm I hooking it up wrong or what? - I tried using a optical cable but come to find out both my TV and DVD surround sound the optical is out only.. If I used an Optical to analog converter, will i be ably to plug that into my HDMI port in my TV?

Solution
Think this is the manual for your system: http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1025086759.pdf

There are no a/v inputs, thats the trouble with those all in one dvd players, you're left limited to only the dvd player for surround sound usually. A dvd will work with surround sound speakers because the surround sound information is already on the dvd.

No converter will work with this audio system as there are no inputs. The optical out would be used for other audio alternatives such as an a/v receiver or sound bar.

If you want audio from your TV you'll need an audio system that has optical in like an a/v receiver.

Bare in mind, most tv's will output via optical 2.1 digital stereo if your lucky the program you're watching is actually...
You need optical (or coax SPDIF) Input on your sound system in order to be able to pipe surround sound. A converter like the one you've mentioned will still produce stereo only on RCA outputs.

I'ts unclear whether you have separate sound system, and DVD player (with optiocal out). If your sound system has optical IN, most probably it is an input.

boju

Distinguished
Think this is the manual for your system: http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1025086759.pdf

There are no a/v inputs, thats the trouble with those all in one dvd players, you're left limited to only the dvd player for surround sound usually. A dvd will work with surround sound speakers because the surround sound information is already on the dvd.

No converter will work with this audio system as there are no inputs. The optical out would be used for other audio alternatives such as an a/v receiver or sound bar.

If you want audio from your TV you'll need an audio system that has optical in like an a/v receiver.

Bare in mind, most tv's will output via optical 2.1 digital stereo if your lucky the program you're watching is actually broadcasting in that format, usually not. Most a/v receivers will have virtual surround sound (not perfect) but good enough if you understand the situation with TV broadcasting and audio handling.

Solution
Bottom line: There is a reason why that system so cheap.

You should be able to find another dvd box combo kit that at least has toslink (optical) input so you can get surround from your TV/other video sources.

Naturally a proper home theater receiver (so is just a reciever and does not have a DVD player built in) is best, and the better ones dont come with speakers, they have to be purchased seperatly. If you ever want to venture down this road the most cost affordable decent quality option is a yamaha rx-v3-- receiver and monoprice 5.1 speaker set.