News No, the Nvidia RTX 3080 didn’t just kill the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 7, 2020
Unless Sony brings all it's games to pc, PS5 will have best graphics.

Pc is for higher fps and resolution.
Pc gamers can't even imagine what an rtx 2070 level gpu is actually capable of.

Show me these graphics on a rtx 2080ti??
View: https://youtu.be/xLpjkDqr1V8

Ever seen these graphics on your old 2013 pc?

Console will always win and high end pc is more niche.

Sep 7, 2020
And a compelling argument to be had that even if you love PC gaming, you shouldn’t dismiss the next-generation consoles.
Why? There are only two games I wanted and couldn't play the last 15 years because they were exclusives. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. But I played Demon's Souls this year on RPCS3 and there are rumors of Bloodborne coming to PC.

But Nvidia hasn’t given us a compelling reason not to buy a next-gen games console.
They don't need to. They are NOT a game publisher. They make hardware.

I have been gaming on PCs for years, but the new consoles are still hugely compelling, especially the PS5 with its batch of exclusive games.
What games someone likes is entirely personal preference. Yeah if a system has enough games for you to make it worth it the price then go and buy it.

With the next-gen consoles, we're looking at plug-and-play gaming boxes that will actually be able to take advantage of 4K TV, as well as throw a huge amount of other tech into the mix — custom SSDs, 3D audio, the DualSense controller.
Plug-update-wait-longer-because-the-network-card-is-shitty-and-play. And 4K30 is something a GTX980Ti can do. Do you know how cheap they are right now? OK, 3D audio is something I like.

And while I like digging around in my PC, there’s a lot to be said for beaching myself on my sofa and playing Halo: The Master Chief Collection on an Xbox One X, even if my PC offers better frame rates and mouse-based aiming precision.
I must be a magician because somehow my PC is currently connected to my TV and I can play Halo:TMCC with any controller I want.

Convenience is king in a lot of things, especially for people short on time.
Yeah, that's why I prefer to troubleshoot my PC instead of waiting 2 to 4 weeks for Sony or Microsoft to fix a console and send it back. One afternoon vs 2 to 4 weeks. :)

And that’s why even in the face of Nvidia’s new GeForce graphics cards the PS5 and Xbox Series X cannot be dismissed, despite the cries of PC fans.
The what? The only people I see crying are console fanboy YouTubers like KidSmoove and CrapGamerReviews.

Sep 6, 2020

What do you mean? 30fps, non destructive objects, static background and objects, horribly aliased graphics, restricted play area (road) and bunch of over the the top weather effects to distract the player noticing all that and to get that wow effect? Ever seen a modded Skyrim lol?

Once you take a closer look at the water effects on the car windows you will notice that moving rain drops/streams are like an old Flintstones cartoon where the background during character movement (like car driving and running) is cycled over and over again. The water stream goes over the window, little pause and the same exact shape and form goes over the window again at the same place. Once you notice that you can't unsee it. Forza Horizon 3 did that many times better and it was an open-world game with destructible objects, day and night cycle and actual randomly generated water drops on the car windows that would be affected by forces created by your car speed and movements. True, all these goodies wouldn't run very well on a 2013 era GPU and the game was badly optimized as well (PG/T10 first attempt creating a full Forza for PC ), but with all the money you save on cheaper games and no need to pay extra annual fees for online multiplayer you can upgrade your PC with used parts rather cheaply.

A really good video series on youtube is The Potato Masher where a budget PC build is compared to this generation consoles (Forza Horizon 3 is there as well). You can see all the pros and cons there.

Sep 7, 2020
Wow, that was like watching The Verge build a gaming PC all over again. Ill-informed, biased to the extreme. The consoles offer convenience, they don't innovate, they rely on the PC market to push the boundaries and they will not live up to the hype and expectations.

You're not just paying $500 for the hardware, you're paying through the nose for the software, peripherals and access to online services - it's a false economy over the lifetime of the console.

BigDingus above is using Steam hardware survey data, which is skewed by random sampling and also due to the number of office desktops and laptops that are included - someone playing Peggle on the works laptop isn't exactly Steams bread and butter customer but there are plenty of them. I haven't been included in a Steam hardware survey across the four gaming PCs in my household (Mine, Wife, Two Daughters) for over two years with regular reinstalls included. It isn't a particularly good indicator anymore.

Anyway, this is hack journalism.

Reactions: DCGColts
Sep 7, 2020
A powerful gaming PC is ideal, but it's a lot of money and effort compared to just buying an PS5 or Xbox Series X.

No, the Nvidia RTX 3080 didn’t just kill the PS5 and Xbox Series X : Read more
You hit the nail on the head... frankly the guy writing this article was flaming the PCMR community, which I'm part of and that's fine! The big difference between the next gen consoles and PC is the pricing and the exclusive games, and unfortunately for us PC people until very recently consoles have had much better games... MS Gamepass and Sony releasing a couple of their games has helped, but lets not lie to ourselves here there is an element of complexity and sitting in front of a desk with a PC that just isn't attractive to your average person! With crossplay becoming a bigger thing I totally encourage people to buy consoles and invest in 1st party game studios... its better for everyone! the only exception is the crappy monetisation.

Sep 6, 2020
haven't a clue what what your attacking me here is for. no, I would not buy the ps3. The last console I bought was the 360 @ launch. yo is like 14 years ago. don't shove words in my mouth without consent pls
how did I attack you? That definitely wasn't my intention.

Sep 7, 2020
Just had to create an account to comment on what an awful article this was. Was like reading a guy trying to do damage control for a company he doesn't work for. Or as though he wanted to convince himself why he doesn't want to buy a fairly expensive GPU. No one literally thinks the PS5 and Xbox Series X are going to die because some really nice video cards came out. What they mean by "killed" the consoles is that the consoles aren't even out and their biggest minor advantage over PC has already been overcome (SSD speeds) while throwing so many flops that both consoles combined won't be matching some of these cards, on top of second-gen ray tracing, while consoles will be dealing with not just first-gen raytracing, but AMD first-gen raytracing. I'd be worried.

Yes, a console is more convenient. Just like taking a bus is more convenient than owning and maintaining a car. Who cares? How is that relevant to anything?

Don't even get me started on the ridiculous PC claims. How are you gaming on a PC at 1080p/60hz in 2020? By not actually gaming on PC. Dude has an old PC in his house and thinks that makes it a gaming PC. "Bottlenecked" by a gen 1 Ryzen, uh huh. Very convincing.

But the biggest laugh was the unironic belief that the PS5 is going to be doing 4k/60. No, man. Just no. A few games here and there might hit that mark, but I bet dollars to donuts that the exact same trend we've seen for two decades continues. The vast majority of games will be "almost" a solid 30, and a more recent trend, the vast majority of the games will be "almost" 4k. But instead of with a quality system like DLSS that can bring in more detail than even true 4k thanks to downsampling from 16k and AI learning, we'll get more checkerboarding fun that just makes the image look muddy.

There has been 0 indication that Sony plans to make 4k/60 a thing, just that it's possible, just like it was possible on the PS4 Pro. We already know Ratchet and Clank is going to have a performance mode to lower the visual quality in exchange for frame rate, so right out the gate we have games not hitting that mark.

The consoles will continue to be what they always have been: Affordable, convenient gaming platforms for people who like to keep it simple. I'd say exclusives, but frankly the list of exclusives gets sadder with every generation. PS4 had better exclusives than Xbox One this gen, but both were fat steaming turds compared to the gold mine that was the PS2 and prior. These days a 7 year console might net you 10-15 decent exclusives, and even now we see both Sony and MS chasing after that PC money. Why not sell your games to millions of people on a platform you're not even in direct competition with?

Anyway, if you're feeling threatened enough by some GPUs being announced that you need to write an article explaining why consoles are still a thing people will want, you know they're gonna be some damn fine cards.

Oh, and for the guy linking Drive Club as some graphical showcase... I think Minecraft with ray tracing probably looks better than literally anything I've seen on any console. And it's Minecraft of all things.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_eeWr622Ss

Watch a man build a functioning camera obscura and see how interesting and fun (and visually awesome) interactive elements of the world can be.

Reactions: DCGColts
Sep 6, 2020
He's certainly right about this, which a lot of people are ignoring -

"...it’s often the case that a powerful gaming PC is needed to match the performance of a games console, even though on paper the PC’s specs all but embarrass the console’s hardware."
no he isn't. Comparing 750ti vs ps4 when ps4 has way better specs wrong. Comparing rx580 cuz it has more tflops than x1x is again wrong because x1x beats it in every other spec that actually matters. Memory bandwidth, vram, compute units, shading cores , etc. gotta be the same or close enough. You won't find one game if you actually know how gpu specs work.

Sep 8, 2020
Either the author is biased or he really isn't knowledgeable in this matter...

I personally don't have an 1800x for a CPU, but I have an i7-7700 and I only intend to play games in 4K60, so any bottleneck (which there surely will be) won't be noticeable for me when I upgrade to a 3080.

The case for PCs over consoles, even if you have to build a PC from scratch is that you save money in the long run and will have better performance... Consoles are cheaper than their counterparts in PC hardware because they are sold at a loss. Money is made back through high game prices and any subscriptions including online access.

Someone also posted a video of Driveclub, a poor racing game only released for the PS4, and at 1080p30. Not sure why because that just defeats his point. By the way, Xbox exclusive games also release with PC now, and the Forza Horizon games are way better. Lol.

Blight0r

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I mean people who dont have friends on PC will still buy consoles to play with thier friends.

I was thinking of getting both consoles, but a few of my xbox friends are thinking of going to the PC (wont lose out games), and this stupid performance increase just really sold the deal.

PS5 I'm still interested in, the look of it, the haptics and the exclusives are pretty cool. So yeah, in some ways its good to stop thinking about buying multiple consoles AND having a PC. Now its just one console, one PC.

Last edited:

Blight0r

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
It's no surprise that consoles have consistently destroyed PCs in market share each gen for this reason.
Ummm...

261.24 Million PC's were sold..... last year.

Thats more than the lifetimes sales of the PS4, XBOX One and Nintendo Switch.

But ahhh, sure. Lets go with consoles destroying PC in market share (y):vip:

Paradroid888

Prominent
Mar 7, 2020
This article ignores one big thing - the massive effect that these new consoles will have on upcoming game hardware requirements. PC's don't have generations but they get caught up in console generations.

Years back I used to game with a GTX650Ti and it was fine for years even on fairly high settings - until the Xbox One and PS4 launched. After that, game over. New card time. The same thing will happen next year - RTX3000's will definitely be worth it.

Aug 6, 2020
I read the article thoroughly, and i have to say, in my opinion, that some of the points that have been made are pretty pointless, and straight out put there to cater towards the console fans. Before the fanboys start frantically looking for their controller, trying to type from their PS4 browser in the most inconvenient way known to mankind, let me explain.

I don't believe, for a second, not even in my most delusional dreams, that a Ryzen 7 1800x will create a bottleneck with a 3070. If you don't believe me, you can check here, by putting a 2080ti in the 'Video Card' section . What you get is a 0.16% bottleneck in 1080p and a whopping 2% in 4K! Oh shoot, that is so much loss (sarcastically speaking)! EVEN IF the 3070 is faster than a 2080Ti, i strongly doubt the values are gonna be that much higher.

As far as the RAM, SSD and motherboard, who spread the idea that you need to have the latest and most expensive SSD to play a game at the best of your system's capabilities? If that was the case, consoles would be the worst choice, considering that you can't upgrade them.

Now, the 'pointless power' part is just hilarious. That point can be used for consoles too: do YOU have a 4K HDR monitor to enjoy that upscaled resolution and 30fps consoles were offering you last gen? If you didn't, then buying a PS4 Pro was completely pointless. Even then, you can get a 2K, 144hz, 1ms for 250-300$ from Amazon ( this is just an example ). Before people jump the gun and say 'HA! MORE MONEY!', you had to buy that beautiful 4K HDR TV you're plugging your shiny, plasticky, 500$ Blu-Ray reader to. And considering how 99% of the console playerbase was brainwashed for years with the words of 'FOUR KAY THIRTY FPS!', and most PC players would go for 1080p 144hz (which are dirt cheap right now), the point doesn't really hold that much.

Also, I don't think that people that are making rigs with the RTX 3090 for lots of doubloons are gonna be worrying about spending another 3-4k on an 8K monitor, OR they're gonna use it for productivity, for which you don't need 8K. Also, mark my words: when consoles are gonna reach 8K territory, the console community is gonna jump at it like a pack of hyenas on a dead gazelle, screaming 'EIGHT KAY THIRTY FPS!' from the top of their lungs, and suddenly become sensitive and rational when PC is gonna reach 16K, or the next big milestone.

Ultimately, I'm not saying that consoles are just fancy and expensive Blu-Ray readers (as I said earlier), but, as the writer said, convenience is king in a lot of things. So I'm just gonna sit back, relax, and play my favourite N64 game, or my favourite PS2 game, or my favourite NDS game, or my... you know where this is going. And if I fancy to lanch a PC game that used to be a PlayStation exclusive while chatting with my best friend online, without paying for achievements, all while scrolling down the endless column of PC exclusives at 80% discount on Steam, I can do that. All while people brag about how fast their SSD is.

Thank you for your patience, and have a nice day.
So true.... i got a monster pc and when the time will come to change the ps7 will be out. All the money i saved by not buying console and buying pc games on sale or on humble bundle justify the choice for pc and if you add mods, graphic options, versatility, emulators of consoles and alt-tabing...

May 24, 2020
Ummm...

261.24 Million PC's were sold..... last year.

Thats more than the lifetimes sales of the PS4, XBOX One and Nintendo Switch.

But ahhh, sure. Lets go with consoles destroying PC in market share (y):vip:
And PCs still only hold onto just 24% of the market share in the video game industry, vs 30% for consoles and 45% for mobile.

"Sales" are irrelevant when it's still coming in last where it matters. Consoles consistently outperform PCs in market share, period.

May 24, 2020
because much like the author you haven't the slightest clue. laziness is a real bad defense I'm afraid. it just compounds the point that console apologists are wasteful, thoughtless, and ignorant of how currently easy it is now to put together an afternoon's work.

Idc about the consoles really. but the absolute dissonance of the authors ethos claims with his 1080p 60 monitor on his 'gaming rig ' set me off and it's just a joke of an article.

cite the stats pls btw
If you truly believe what you just wrote, than it is you who is clueless.
In a PC enthusiasts world maybe. In the real world no. Don't try to downplay ones reason not to buy something because they prefer not to do it. That is the main reason why everyone doesn't just "build their own rig", aside from the other main reason, price. Getting off of Tom's guide to base your assumptions from and talking to normal people would show you this fact. No. The majority of people don't care about PC gaming. Period.

And I don't care about the opinions of a console gamer or a PC gamer, frankly, but I understand why PC is still seen as niche compared to console and mobile gaming. It goes like this.

2019 Market share globally
Most market share: Mobile. 45%
Second most: Console. 30%
Third: PC. 24%

Say what you will about the casual market or consoles, PC is the minority. Is there a chance for that to change however? Sure. But reality says that the majority isn't going to be spending thousands of dollars to build a PC for games.

Stats:

Sep 6, 2020
If you truly believe what you just wrote, than it is you who is clueless.
In a PC enthusiasts world maybe. In the real world no. Don't try to downplay ones reason not to buy something because they prefer not to do it. That is the main reason why everyone doesn't just "build their own rig", aside from the other main reason, price. Getting off of Tom's guide to base your assumptions from and talking to normal people would show you this fact. No. The majority of people don't care about PC gaming. Period.

And I don't care about the opinions of a console gamer or a PC gamer, frankly, but I understand why PC is still seen as niche compared to console and mobile gaming. It goes like this.

2019 Market share globally
Most market share: Mobile. 45%
Second most: Console. 30%
Third: PC. 24%

Say what you will about the casual market or consoles, PC is the minority. Is there a chance for that to change however? Sure. But reality says that the majority isn't going to be spending thousands of dollars to build a PC for games.

Stats:

Sorry bud, < rude, sorry. I would agree with you, except he predicated his post by claiming he was a PC gamer and he had a PC gaming rig. Mobile makes sense cuz I'm mostly playing a mobile game right now on my rig heheheee (but a phone to run it similarly would be >$1000 so..)

If you’re a PC gaming fan, then you might think it’s worth opting for the RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 over spending some $500 on a PS5 or Xbox Series X and be limited machines that can’t tap into the vast range of games, old and new, that a gaming PC can.

As someone who has a gaming PC, I’d agree with that in essence. But in practice there's some nuance here. And a compelling argument to be had that even if you love PC gaming, you shouldn’t dismiss the next-generation consoles.

He tried to make an argument from authority/claim of value at the start. Now they're(Tom's) trying to compare 3090s to consoles.

Do you see the dissonance? They are well off their mark, and when the article is supposed to be an argument by a gamer for a gamer, whatever that means, to see not one care taken in your hardware without qualifying it is a sign to me that they are writing disingenuously.

As well, a 1/4 and a 1/3 being outweighed by a 1/2 does not look like 'no one cares' to me- 25% willing to invest more into a higher priced system that takes more effort to use sounds like a lot of people care. Meanwhile, 45% is going into an EXTREMELY easy to use, poor performance handheld. The majority may not care, but the minority cares a lot more about the scene than the majority, ie anyone should be able to discern perhaps they aren't getting their money's worth even at these lower prices

Sep 6, 2020

Nevermind I take back my acceptance of it. Looked at the source.

This globalxetfs website cited a website using absolute terms (this is the growth) when, in fact, they are estimates. Very oddly citing all 3 sources using ibid which is also a weird journalistic tactic to look more legitimate, and to look like they had more sources.

Yaaawn. I have to be rude again, but that isn't your fault, I have to be at this xetfs website for misleading you into thinking estimations were reality.

They think Fortnite adds to mobile popularity. PUBG mobile maybe, I know my lil bro plays on his Switch- I'm building him a PC soon so he can have glorious 144hz in it with no worrying required.

It's undisputed to me though that mobile is dominating- I can tell that just listening to Kitboga hear every scammer loves playing PUBG mobile.

Console will always win and high end pc is more niche.

I can show you that on a 2070 super if u want

GPUs are for resolution and quality btw; cpu is for FPS bottleneck and lower resolution increases in wanting higher fps for refresh rates.

Once you go 240+hz, that choppy 'beautiful' 30fps slideshow becomes an unbearable headache

Sep 17, 2020
Honestly, I have been wrestling with this. I have a 9th gen Intel machine that I built on a budget. i5 -9400f, 16GB DDR4 2666mhz (max), 2 nvme drives 500 GB each, and an RX 5700 (overclocked @ 1979mhz or about 9TFlops peak) I got a super deal on the graphics card at the time $279 new. I really was shocked at how powerful the new consoles were, I thought my PC would at least be on par with them for a few years. But.. I only have a 1440p monitor, its 144hz, but I'm perfectly okay with 60 fps. So I don't think I need to upgrade my PC to play the latest games for a while. I just won't be able to use ray tracing and I'll have to settle for 1440p which I'm fine with. Still the prospect of the RTX 3070 at $499, vs the PS5 at $499, I am a PS4 owner, I might get the PS5 rather than upgrade my graphics card right now. Of course I have the option to upgrade to an i7-9700 which are about $300, which I would recoup from the sale of the RX 5700 and the sale of the i5 9400f on ebay, at least most of it if not all. So it really would be a $499 and maybe a little less to upgrade to a PC that is much more powerful than the consoles (though now PCI 4.0). Perplexing.. thankfully, I have some time to think about it as these graphics cards and consoles are going to be quite hard to come by for a while.

Sep 6, 2020
Honestly, I have been wrestling with this. I have a 9th gen Intel machine that I built on a budget. i5 -9400f, 16GB DDR4 2666mhz (max), 2 nvme drives 500 GB each, and an RX 5700 (overclocked @ 1979mhz or about 9TFlops peak) I got a super deal on the graphics card at the time $279 new. I really was shocked at how powerful the new consoles were, I thought my PC would at least be on par with them for a few years. But.. I only have a 1440p monitor, its 144hz, but I'm perfectly okay with 60 fps. So I don't think I need to upgrade my PC to play the latest games for a while. I just won't be able to use ray tracing and I'll have to settle for 1440p which I'm fine with. Still the prospect of the RTX 3070 at $499, vs the PS5 at $499, I am a PS4 owner, I might get the PS5 rather than upgrade my graphics card right now. Of course I have the option to upgrade to an i7-9700 which are about $300, which I would recoup from the sale of the RX 5700 and the sale of the i5 9400f on ebay, at least most of it if not all. So it really would be a $499 and maybe a little less to upgrade to a PC that is much more powerful than the consoles (though now PCI 4.0). Perplexing.. thankfully, I have some time to think about it as these graphics cards and consoles are going to be quite hard to come by for a while.

Reminder: the 9700 will not let you overclock your CPU, which becomes increasingly important as you get to the higher tiers of cpus. my 8700k is a joke on defaults imo at this point, yet properly oc'd I can outperform it without hyper threading at its defaults with hyper threading; and if i do a hyper threaded OC, it's (hotter) but does incredibly well, only limited by the inefficacy of parallel threads and number of cores.

Would suggest upgrading both even further; go for a 10850k and a new mobo and a 3070 or something. (mind you, that also means upgrading your motherboard!), which would easily future proof you for quite a while to come, depending on your PSU.

I don't find 60fps at 144hz refresh rate acceptable at all personally lol