Solved! No tv guide when cable box outputs to monitor

hickss255

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
Hey guys

This is my first time posting. I've been trying for a while to be able to watch cable tv on my dual monitor computer setup for when I play games.
I tried outputting the HDMI from cable box to a HDMI switch and from there one output to the tv and one output to a HDMI to vga adapter into the monitor.

Then I tried having the cable box component output to the tv and then HDMI to the HDMI vga adapter into the monitor.

No matter what I'm getting the same problem. It works for audio and video, but the tv guide function doesn't work and I can't seem to figure out why.

When it's just component out from the box to the tv it works. When it's component out of box to tv and HDMI out from box ALSO to tv, it works. When it's component out from box to tv, and an HDMI cable just dangling it works. But as soon as I hook up the the HDMI to the monitor the tv guide doesn't work. It looks like it's working but the area that's supposed to have the channel info is black.

It's optimum by the way.

Would love to hear some opinions or suggestions from anyone as this is very annoying.

Solution
Actually I'm surprised you can get component video and HDMI to output anything at the same time. Usually it's either one or the other. Are you sure the monitor HDMI input is HDCP? That would usually get you no picture at all.
It could also be caused by either the HDMI distribution amp you use to split the HDMI or the HDMI to VGA converter.
Actually I'm surprised you can get component video and HDMI to output anything at the same time. Usually it's either one or the other. Are you sure the monitor HDMI input is HDCP? That would usually get you no picture at all.
It could also be caused by either the HDMI distribution amp you use to split the HDMI or the HDMI to VGA converter.

Solution

hickss255

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017
Hello,

Thanks for your reply but I believe i now know what the problem was.

My adapter was taking the HDMI and outputting it as DVI-D, which i guess doesn't have the digital capabilities to handle the TV Guide interface or something. I ended up using a different spare monitor with an HDMI in, so i have from the cable box >> HDMI into monitor. And I have component going from cable box to the tv, and it can output both at the same time, and TVGuide is working fine.

So for whatever reason, the HDMI to DIV-D converter did not want to output the tv guide interface.