Nokia and Microsoft Announce Phone Partnership

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Already Nokia's shares have fallen & people trusted their brand name I have noticed in the mobile phone industries past,but from now on and the future will tell if they have made a mistake or not...Personally I would of rather had a stand alone idea for Nokia,but because of circumstances that we may not know of they decided to go for this kind of joint venture...Do not forget that google had a deal with mozilla's firefox group ( they make browsers ) & after several years google came out with their own browser & operating system...So I think in the case of google & mozilla,that google came out ahead for the better at the expence of mozilla by having a joint venture in which they help each other out & each may learn new technologies...So maybe Nokia has this idea to gain knowledge of operating system ideas,while Microsoft has the learn some of the hardware fundamental ideas from Nokia...Anyway one of them will come out better then the other and time will tell...

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]theduke[/nom]Don't understand this overly negative reaction to WP7. It works well and has a great UI. This is definitely an improvement for Nokia and can very well work out well for both sides. I wouldn't see them making much of a splash in the Android market and think WP7 would be their best bet at rebuilding its brand following.[/citation]

As I see, Microsoft is one of the best (if not the) OS developers around. They obviously have a lot more problems because they have a huge user base, and have to support an endless amount of software. What raises people's eyebrows on this Nokia-MS deal is the fact that Microsoft is overly protective of their software, and limit developers too much. Nokia has great hardware and design, but lacks developer support. I just don't see it coming from WP7.

G

Success or faites Will dépend on exécution: thé deal by itself has sole potentiel, l'aube first and post in thé corporaux market where a Windows-bases sarthois Will be MUCH more convenient (intégration situ corporaux email, agenda, documents, security and logon etc...). Remembre thaï this is thé foot of RIM BlackBerry success... combined with some fency consumer devices cheaper t han Apple but (slightly) better t han Android would be enough to gain success... i say: wait and see!

G

WP7 is polished Android still looks like some childs pop up book. Although android is more "open" and also supports many free apps.

n1k0

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
although android might have been a better choice (who's to say at this point) I think this is a good move. Nokia and Microsoft are both publicly trusted names. (Techies/people who frequent tom's and other such sites are a of course going to be more critical of them.)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]oh i remember when you had to have a nokia or your phone was terrible... the bad cheap plastic cases and peopel replacing antenas with glowing balls.... glad we're past those days[/citation]

I'm still trying to figure out exactly when that was... All my experience with Nokia has been completely negative...haven't seen a single Nokia device last more than a few months.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I guess Im the only one that thinks this is a good idea. Oh well, flame me silly then.[/citation]

Nah IMO good move. 99% of the people who post that bs about oo bye bye nokia are just MS basher s that bash for no reason just because its cool to do. Honestly i saw nothing good about the android OS i have used all the major phone OS's and really when it comes to phones i really loved the win os 6.5 with htc enhancements. the only phone i ever owned that worked perfectly and seamlessly with all my other stuff with little more then plugging it in. and the IE browser on it was great with the built in flash support. only other one i liked was the bb OS. less functionality then the windows one but its nice and smooth on my storm and i just cant give up that touch screen bb put on it so i ended up after 4 phones going back to it. One thing i do miss about my windows phone was if i wanted an app. there were litteraly hundreds of choices for anything i wanted and were almost always free.

@repel

Why open up windows mobile code? they make it open enough to develop what you want for it what else do you need?

"and end up with that generic drab interface"

Talking about android? that OS is about as generic as it gets honestly. way to many versions that are incompatible with each other on way to much crappy hardware aside from a few gems.

Only thing i really want to see is a mobile os that doesn't get updated 5 times a year that doesn't make all apps you have irrelevant perhaps one that gets upgraded as service packs instead of changing how the whole OS works. Win7 is a fresh new OS hope they don't do what they did in the past and what Google does now.

G

Looking forward to what they come up with and how Nokia will influenced future WP7 updates. I am amazed at all the narrow minded fanatics about these phone OS's already.

G

Lol

Why did the new CEO invest in Wincrap.
So the stock market shares show how much of a noob this guy is..

Forget there shares... a bad buy.
Back to buying more apple shares. (smart buy)

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Nokia sing with me: "this is the end, my only friend, the end".
Congratulations Nokia! You've just lost a 2 decade Nokia-only customer.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]theduke[/nom]Don't understand this overly negative reaction to WP7. It works well and has a great UI. This is definitely an improvement for Nokia and can very well work out well for both sides. I wouldn't see them making much of a splash in the Android market and think WP7 would be their best bet at rebuilding its brand following.[/citation]

Agree, its just that some people have been feed bad things about the win mobile os by some sites/reviews (would been fun to know how many were "sponsored" by the competition) that they simply don't know better.

Whats most significant in the case is that some even have chosen to speak up against it from what they read without even trying it. Many "i don't know why - haters" who actually tried it didn't find it bad at all and even recommend it to others - i find kinda strange!?

jcevap

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Well, I'll try to explain the average Symbian user view about all this.

As a Symbian user, I feel rejected. I fell degraded!

Now I have confirmation that Nokia itself regards Symbian as a second rate OS. (Although it has had copy/paste for a long time and Win 7 will need an upgrade to do that... Etc...)

I have no interest in Win 7 mobile, what so ever. I had high hopes for Symbian but now I'm just starting to browse through Android pool of phones...

Users will do just what Nokia workers did. Leave. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.