Nokia Launches N8 With a Cinema Screen Stunt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

technosavvysi

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Wow, I was expecting much more intelligent comments considering this is a tech site. AMOLED is THE BEST screen you can get for smartphones. The image quality is INCREDIBLE. HDMI out is a tremendous feature since just about every household in USA has an HDMI tv now. USB output is great for actually printing the photos. The Carl Zeiss lens is one of the best in the world, and 12MP means you can output 11x14 prints with ease. Nokia is THE largest cell phone manufacturer in the world and being last one in isn't always a negative. Compare this to automakers around the world. When Japan started making cars they didn't start with a model T. The Japanese were able to produce great vehicles because they didn't have to start from scratch. They had all of the mistakes the US automakers to learn from without having to make the mistakes themselves. The same thing helped the Korean automakers when they started exporting cars. So Nokia has taken the experience of Apple and Android smart phone manufacturers and come up with a first generation phone that would be greeted with awe if users hadn't become so jaded. I own a iPhone 4 but if I didn't I would absolutely get myself an N8. This is a fantastic phone that intelligent users recognize as having high end hardware with all the features a 'power user' needs. Other than the speed of the processor there is very little that can be labeled a negative for this phone. However, since this is an ARM 11 and not an Arm Cortex A8 processor so the speed of the processor may be misleading. All in all the comments here were surprising for their lack of tech savvy and knowledge of Nokia. Expected much more from a technology website. Comments were more on par with what I would expect on a Best Buy website.

Yagame

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Certainly..........Direct Quote.... "Nokia, still the world's largest phone maker, has launched its new Symbian^3 super device that will go up against the iPhones and Androids in its segment." Huva Vittoo....[/citation]
My VERY FIRST PHONE was a Nokia. It was rock solid back then. The Apple Hype/Android Hype probably isnt as crazy in other countries. So this phone will still do well for the rest of the globe.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
You do know that this is just a phone connected to a projector right? Cool phone...but this is really more about the giant-ass projector it seems. I'm sure a lot of mobile devices with a high definition output could do this.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Nokia certainly isn't doing everything right in the high-end smartphone sector, but they aren't exactly aiming for what most of you are complaining about either. I might add that their business isn't hurting for it either. I'm a content owner of a 2100 quadrant scoring Galaxy S (i9000) but where I'm living now most non-tech people I meet haven't even heard of Android. I didn't wait for the N8 because it doesn't fit my specific desires, but it is a nice piece of equipment that will do better than any other handset out there for some people. Many of the negative comments here can be attributed to one-track minds and ignorance.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Every time I see a phone release, I look in the comments and see a bunch of rabid Android fanboys complaining about, you guessed it, the device not having Android!

Fact check: not everyone likes or appreciates Android. They aren't even the dominant OS outside of US. Those whiners need to stop trying to push Android onto everything.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I just heard the news that Samsung would no longer support development on the Symbian platform. One more bad news for Nokia, considering that Samsung ships lots of handsets and smartphones world wide (not just in the US). :D

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]technosavvysi[/nom]Wow, I was expecting much more intelligent comments considering this is a tech site. AMOLED is THE BEST screen you can get for smartphones. The image quality is INCREDIBLE. HDMI out is a tremendous feature since just about every household in USA has an HDMI tv now. USB output is great for actually printing the photos. The Carl Zeiss lens is one of the best in the world, and 12MP means you can output 11x14 prints with ease. Nokia is THE largest cell phone manufacturer in the world and being last one in isn't always a negative. Compare this to automakers around the world. When Japan started making cars they didn't start with a model T. The Japanese were able to produce great vehicles because they didn't have to start from scratch. They had all of the mistakes the US automakers to learn from without having to make the mistakes themselves. The same thing helped the Korean automakers when they started exporting cars. So Nokia has taken the experience of Apple and Android smart phone manufacturers and come up with a first generation phone that would be greeted with awe if users hadn't become so jaded. I own a iPhone 4 but if I didn't I would absolutely get myself an N8. This is a fantastic phone that intelligent users recognize as having high end hardware with all the features a 'power user' needs. Other than the speed of the processor there is very little that can be labeled a negative for this phone. However, since this is an ARM 11 and not an Arm Cortex A8 processor so the speed of the processor may be misleading. All in all the comments here were surprising for their lack of tech savvy and knowledge of Nokia. Expected much more from a technology website. Comments were more on par with what I would expect on a Best Buy website.[/citation]
1) Super AMOLED is a tad bit better than just plain AMOLED, which only Samsung has at the moment.
2) For smartphones, you cannot judge solely on the hardware alone. You should also factor in the OS platform. Even thought Nokia is trying to make Symbian open source following Android's footstep. The Symbian platform isn't as widely supported as Android or the iOS. I don't see a future there for the Symbian. Not that it is a bad OS, just nothing significantly better then the competition. And a little late in the arrival.
:D

erzhik

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]Someone from Nokia PR is being paid to come here and thumb down negative comments.Seriosuly, Nokia no longer matters. with Apple and Android dominating the market, Nokia no longer matters. until they seriously catch up, no one is gonna care.[/citation]

Ehh, last time I checked, Nokia was dominating the market. US market is not the most important market, it's the world market that counts. And I'm sorry, but Nokia sells more devices than Android and Apple combined.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]erzhik[/nom]Ehh, last time I checked, Nokia was dominating the market. US market is not the most important market, it's the world market that counts. And I'm sorry, but Nokia sells more devices than Android and Apple combined.[/citation]
They dominate the entire cell-phone market because most of the world uses a regular dumb phone. Nokia is virtually unknown in the smart-phone market.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
They dominate the entire cell-phone market because most of the world uses a regular dumb phone. Nokia is virtually unknown in the smart-phone market.

Completely untrue, Nokia is the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]Completely untrue, Nokia is the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world[/citation]
Yes, the numbers show that Nokia still has the highest Symbian shipment world wide. But I'd be interested to see those stats again a year from now. With Apple and Google hammering Noika from left and right, also you have uSoft and RIM pulling on the legs. I really don't know how long Nokia could hold out.

I used to own a Nokia candybar style phone a long time ago. And the only thing I like about Nokia was their great reception. But that's about all I remember about Nokia.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Yes, the numbers show that Nokia still has the highest Symbian shipment world wide. But I'd be interested to see those stats again a year from now. With Apple and Google hammering Noika from left and right, also you have uSoft and RIM pulling on the legs. I really don't know how long Nokia could hold out.

I used to own a Nokia candybar style phone a long time ago. And the only thing I like about Nokia was their great reception. But that's about all I remember about Nokia.

My guess is that with the n8 and the n9 and with meego on the horizon they will be doing better in a years time, i have a n82 which is about 3 years old now and its still a great phone, still has one of the better camera's available on a phone and can still do some things the brand new iphone4 can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.