Nokia Lays Off Thousands As it Ditches Symbian

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
So, Nokia is treading a new path. Windows mobile doesn't exactly look like an OS with more reach. Its market share ain't that big. Only time will tell if this was a good decision or a total botch.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
After having Windows Mobile 6.1 on my phone (Verizon Omnia), I'm done with Windows phones. No, I'm not going with the i(diot)Phone, either. It'll be a DROID for me.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]You are right, people liked Windows Mobile...not so much WP7...[/citation]
people may have liked Windows mobile, but that didn't stop every tech page slamming WInMob 6.5 which was a very poor show from them.

P.s. How do you know that 'people' don't like WP7? We have over 14 devices here and so, far, the staff really like them due to the simplicity at which it does everything.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]After having Windows Mobile 6.1 on my phone (Verizon Omnia), I'm done with Windows phones. No, I'm not going with the i(diot)Phone, either. It'll be a DROID for me.[/citation]

WP7 is 100% different from 6.1. Heck, it's such a change that you'd never go back to using 6.1 or 6.5 again.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
"Nokia seemed to realize that it needed to look to an outside OS with a wider reach if it was to succeed in the smartphone arena."

Windows Phone 7 has a wider reach??? What sick joke is that?

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The decision by Nokia to go with WP7 is suicidal. They had a chance with Meego and they have blown it, their smartphone sales have nosedived and HTC Samsung and Apple are the main beneficiaries. They will end up like Rambus, leeching of other companies citing breech of patent.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]You are right, people liked Windows Mobile...not so much WP7...[/citation]

That's quite a statement...

I tried Windows Mobile 6.1, hated it so much I went back to my old 2005 Nokia 6021. I tried WP7 in a store and loved it. Comparing it to WM6 to WP7 is like comparing wrotten eggs to vanilla ice-cream.

Have you tried both?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Actually, MS is the winner here, not Nokia - I still don't get how Nokia could agree to that deal...

MS managed to get a handset manufacturer with an excellent reputation and loyal customer base (in Europe and the developing world that is). Nokia handsets are virtually a synonym for sturdy and well built. Plus, acquiring the Ovi Store and Ovi maps instantly turns the weak map app made by MS into a worthy competitor for Android's Google Maps and vastly increases the number of software for MS. Plus, the Nokia brand is very well known with general consumers while WP7 is something most have never heard of.

Nokia on the other hand busted its chances to release an Android phone and restore their presence in the smartphone market. WP7 is good and I don't doubt it will find a loyal customer base, but it was late to the game, has poor hardware support and lacks the vast dev community iOS and Android have behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.