Nokia Says That Young People Are Bored of the iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think Nokia actually has a point. The iPhone really is getting played out and hasn't innovated or kept up with the latest tech. Android can be a little difficult if you really play around with it, but for everyday users is easy enough. I don't actually know anyone that owns a WP7 device but I hear good things. Of course maybe M$ just hired a bunch of forum trolls to drum up interest. Even so, its working as I'm going to at least consider a Windows phone (current phone is an iPhone 3GS) when my contract is up in a few months, though I'll probably get an Android.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
The only person an Android phone is complicated for is my mother. Shes had the original Droid for two and half years and still hasn't figured out to reply to emails...

G

As an owner of a windows mobile 6.5 device, no way. No Way. NO WAY will I ever purchase another mobile device driven by ANY windows OS. Reminds me of the 1981 Chevy Cavilier I owned way back when. I will never own another GM or Win Phone product the rest of my life.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
So they are saying that iSheep have seen the light and changed to something else.

If only our reality was as nice as theirs.

And yes, for technophobes, the ipad is nice. They still cant use them, but i can proudly says, I'm sorry but i cant help over the phone.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dryheat[/nom]As an owner of a windows mobile 6.5 device, no way. No Way. NO WAY will I ever purchase another mobile device driven by ANY windows OS. Reminds me of the 1981 Chevy Cavilier I owned way back when. I will never own another GM or Win Phone product the rest of my life.[/citation]
You can't judge WP7 by your experience with Windows Mobile 6.5.... They are 2 completely different operating systems. Windows Mobile is an embedded OS (it's firmware, not software)....whereas WP7 is actually software based.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]njt[/nom]even windows phone. and now that wp7 has been given that "killer feature", you know, copy and paste, how can it possibly fail?[/citation]
You do realize that CnP has been in WP7 for over a year now right? And even before that it had intelligent contextual stuff built in which negated CnP in 90% of usage situations.
Go back to your sniveling iOS piece of crap, or perhaps wake up and give a WP7 device a test drive so you actually know what you're talking about instead of just regurgitating the talking points from the android elitists who can't accept that any other device actually does things far more easily than their buggy platform.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]You can't judge WP7 by your experience with Windows Mobile 6.5.... They are 2 completely different operating systems. Windows Mobile is an embedded OS (it's firmware, not software)....whereas WP7 is actually software based.[/citation]
Yup, WP6.5 was totally killed and 7/7.5 bears no resemblance to that dreadful platform. Take it for a spin at your local telco store if you can persuade the ignorant salesperson to let you instead of pushing an iPhone or android because thats all they know.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]dryheat[/nom]As an owner of a windows mobile 6.5 device, no way. No Way. NO WAY will I ever purchase another mobile device driven by ANY windows OS. Reminds me of the 1981 Chevy Cavilier I owned way back when. I will never own another GM or Win Phone product the rest of my life.[/citation]

Yeah man, one time I ate this reeses cup, and it was old, i'm NEVER eating another hershey product IN MY LIFE.

Anyways, have fun driving your kia and being cool with your iPhone voice changer app.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]reality says people are bored with symbian and nokia. that's why nokia is struggling right now.good luck with windows phone 7.5 and the rest.[/citation]
Already having a windows phone as work phone, I'd gladly replace my N73 with a new nokia once the prices are reasonable.

Having tried serveral of the bigger smartphone maker's products I can't say I'm really enthusiastic about any of them anymore.
iphone screens break before they're unboxed, htc phones durability is questionable at best, and lg is just .... rubbish - they're the new alcatel I suppose.

That being said, I've heard good things of sony, but having never liked their phones in the past, I'm not going that route.

Samsing, siemens and nokia phones of the pre-smartphone era were good and reliable (well not all nokia models). Any of those would be interesting with a proper os.

If nokia would make phones along the concept of the 3310 again, I'll want one. I want a phone where I can replace the cover with something different, where I can know taht even if my car braeks down on the way home, I won't run out of power on the phone before I get there on foot. (not that my honda will break down mind you).

I want a simple, reliable phone. HTC can't deliver reliable, anything android is the opposite of simple, and apple ... well I simply don't want Apple even if it would make the best and cheapest products on the market (which they never will).

[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]iPhone sucks, and android sucks even more. So only alternative is WP/Nokia.[/citation]
I completely agree

As for the story though. I'm not too sure. Young people may be rubbish at spelling, lacking morale constitution and boring, but they're definetly having an easier time understanding technology than old folks. I doubt they find android as complex as my dad (age 60) does.

I think they're sorta right about apple though. Those I've met who're infected with the Apple virus are generally women in their mid 20s and up.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Well I sure as hell agree with Nokia, but without advertisement or even timely announcement of phones it doesn't help. The only impression others get is "all talk, no action".

So let's bring those phones over here to the US and Canada. Make it available through carriers as well as through your own site. Advertise the qualities that separate your phone from the generic Androids and iPhones.

G

I'd expect the cool young people should be flashing their phone roms with custom dual boot menus to choose which OS they feel like using.. or better yet writing their own. GenX FTW

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]You do realize that CnP has been in WP7 for over a year now right? And even before that it had intelligent contextual stuff built in which negated CnP in 90% of usage situations.Go back to your sniveling iOS piece of crap, or perhaps wake up and give a WP7 device a test drive so you actually know what you're talking about instead of just regurgitating the talking points from the android elitists who can't accept that any other device actually does things far more easily than their buggy platform.[/citation]

oh i do know. unlike you i tend to use my brain, and pick a phone based on my needs, not fads, so no, i am not a "sniveling iOS piece of crap" user. i have an HTC desire, so android.

i have already made, once, the *monumental* mistake to buy a compaq pda/phone, as they were called at the time, running windows ce. you are obviously not qualified to call iOS crap unless you have had the absolutely GODAWFUL experience of using WCE as your phone os,

and i don't want to hear about WP7 being a completely different os, which it is, having a wholly new comm stack, which it does, and being the best thing since sliced bread, which i wouldn't care about, because that's what ms was claiming for that particular version of WCE, which i believed and shame on me for it. it was a £450 ripoff, and next to useless as a phone. and you know what happens when customers are so utterly let down by a massively overhyped product don't you? you never get them another shot at them no matter how good your current one might be. laws of the market, have a good product to sell at all times, or someone else will.

you however, do not appear to be using your brain at all, since you call iOS crap, which is definitely not the case. i dislike apple and their practices and would not buy their products, but my girlfriend had a 2nd gen iphone and i toyed with it, it was a good, all-round solid product, including iOS (unlike WCE) that i WOULD have bought had it not been made by apple.

i'm puzzled by your .... obvious passion, i'll lower myself to your level and bet you are either a microsoft employee, or at least their sockpuppet, i had another word in mind but you know what i'm talking about anyway, yes?

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I have a Droid x. I rooted it when I first bought it, and have MIUI on it now. While it's nice, when I do upgrade my phone, I will most likely decide which OS I use based on one thing only: which phone gives me the best battery life on 4g. I use my phone a lot to surf the interwebs. Should a nokia phone provide this for me, and if the build quality seems as solid as my current phone, then yes, I'll bounce for it. Windows 7 phone looks like an effecient UI, and I'm open minded and willing to get used to the change.
With ICS roms coming out, people are talking about battery life of 24 hrs+ under heavy use. I would like to see how the coming WP7 phones compare to this.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]...and lg is just .... rubbish - they're the new alcatel[/citation]

Nah, they're the new Goldstar...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]njt[/nom] since you call iOS crap, which is definitely not the case[/citation]
You have to be kidding right? name a single damn thing that innovative about that stale platform. Its just dull, boring and about as integrated as oil and water. There is a reason people are abandoning it in favour of google's offering, its because its crap, and without the reality distortion field, people can now see that quite clearly.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I also notice that most folks under 20 are NOT using iphones. Android seems to be reaching them better than Apple, maybe because youth is quicker to notice "POSERS"

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]You have to be kidding right? name a single damn thing that innovative about that stale platform. Its just dull, boring and about as integrated as oil and water. There is a reason people are abandoning it in favour of google's offering, its because its crap, and without the reality distortion field, people can now see that quite clearly.[/citation]

as i said, you're not using your brain at all. the iphone is a PHONE. with the bonus of being a smartphone, so theoretically infinitely extensible. "innovative" is a term your employer uses to define things somebody else pioneered, then they embraced and extended; and it has a very relative value in a simple tool. how many people do you witness entering a phone store and go "that's innovative"? when is "innovative" your prime concern when buying a phone?

pay attention here: you're not on the desktop or server room, you do not want your *MOBILE PHONE* os to do extraordinary things, you want it to perform its primary function 100% of the time, with everything else being icing on the cake. windows ce, the real crap you should have referred to, and which your employer used to pimp years ago could not do that. much as i dislike apple, i must stress, ios is a solid performer. so is android. and since, thank god, microsoft does not have have the same monopoly on ultramobile platforms that it does on the desktop, we actually do have a REAL choice.

if you take that as the truth, wich it is, you'll have to accept that your throwing tantrums and insults do not change the fact that in the CE field, you rip off someone once and you never get them again. that's because mistakes in that field are horrendously expensive in terms of cash (which you worked real hard for) and all the aggro, lost time and productivity you get from that shitty product. and that's only at the consumer end.

WCE was your empoyer's knee jerk reaction to psion's and palm's duopoly in the pda field and should have never existed. ios and android, on the other hand are perfectly usable environments for the vast majority of users, and as usual your employer can't stand two bit of competition or criticism, there's even an excellent dos-based joke about it. go back to the board and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.