Nokia Shows Off Its First Windows Phone Offerings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]You see, that's why Nokia is slipping away; they cheap out on hardware specs, like losing the front-facing camera, in order to save a few bucks by re-using the old casing for the phone. Very "smart" move, considering how Skype is now owned by Microsoft, and likely to get integrated in next WinPhone releases. Also, the screen is smaller, and it is NOT S-amoled, like it should be for better sunlight readability. In essence, they put out another couple of compromised phones, instead of going all guns ablaze and releasing a killer phone. That's why they have a hard time converting Android or iOS users: they are too cheap to do it right. Or too stupid; or both, IDK.[/citation]

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Each of these phones screams 'compromise'. I don't see anything exciting on offer which would persuade people to leave Android or iOS.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Very good pricing. If only they had included a dual core. I'm pretty sure the cost of a dual core over a single core is not too much. And the 16GB-only for a flagship phone is pretty... pitiful(?)

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I know a lot of people are miffed a bit about the specs, but I think it's the right move by the phone manufacturers. People do want more powerful chips, don't get me wrong, but the battery life on these things is nowhere close to where they need to be. By showing the chip manufacturers that they're going to opt for the lower chips for battery life, they show them that CPU juice isn't the only factor in these phones.. eventually, the power in those chips will be enough that you'll basically be able to handle anything the apps can throw at it... but being able to go 3 days without having to charge your phone instead of every day or less without using airplane mode, turning off features, and/or refraining from turning on the screen to save battery life. As mentioned, Nokia caters more to a broad spectrum of users, and those are the people who are more concerned with style and convenience, than power specs and features... plus, i don't know much about Windows Phone OS, since I switched to Android after WinMo 6.1, but maybe you don't need dual cores for a smooth experience on WinPhone... regardless, true progress and innovation is made when people stop buying subpar products and force manufacturers to give them more, by raising the lower bars of technology. Cars were expensive toys for rich people until the likes of Ford started rolling out affordable model-T's that the common man could afford. Many people didn't upgrade from dial up internet access to broadband until there were $20 plans and such.. and there was a time where consumers demanded unlimited minutes, texts, and net access and received it... now people have begun just accepting whatever the hell the cell companies "let" them have again and they're taking away unlimited plans and charging $500 for phones that offer less in some departments than older phones, specifically, battery life. Remember everyone, you vote with your wallet..

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I have always bought nokia phones because they have some of the simplest basic phones out there that can survive the washer, as well as the occasional drop on the basement floor (I'm pretty rough on my phones).
I have also liked the direction of WP7, even if it still feels like an unfinished product. So when I heard that Nokia was going to WP7 I was like "Woot!", but now that it is out Ive gotta say these phones are not for me. Slick design, just nothing inside.

The OS may not require much hardware, but the apps you put on the thing may need it. Just like in the desktop space. Win7 runs fine on a P3 if given enough RAM, but programs will not. The smartphone market will eat up the netbook market over the next 2 years (while tablets will eat traditional notebooks, and ultrabooks will eat normal laptops). In a world that is heading this direction I do not see these phones being relevant.

Besides, Siri and Iris are a glorious idea which no future smartphone should be without, and WP7 will be missing this feature for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.