Nokia's 41-megapixel Camera Phone Not Coming to the U.S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]The only purpose of this sensor is for one to be able to zoom in and crop pictures without compromising the quality of the final result. Real photographers that need to do that know this already.[/citation]
That's why real cameras have detachable lenses, even with an old 8mp SLR camera if you use a whopping great lens you can get much better pictures
The real statement should not have been:-
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]Real photographers don't use a 41 MP phone to shoot pictures.[/citation]
It should have been
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]Real photographers don't use a phone of any kind to shoot pictures.[/citation]

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]samuraibiged[/nom] Unless Nokia is using a previously unreleased technology no manufacturer has managed to beat the saturation point for a given sensor size.[/citation]

Nokia is using exactly this "previously unreleased technology" - Think inverted Anti-alising where you take 41mp picture and use really smart algorithm to converse all the detail and light for a 5mp picture.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/03/07/the-story-behind-the-nokia-808-pureview/

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]samuraibiged[/nom]A 41MP sensor on a phone is not going to take good pictures. More megapixels does not mean better pictures despite what the public is led to believe. A 41 megapixel full frame sensor might be good, but cramming that into a phone sized sensor will do nothing more than introduce noise into the picture. Unless Nokia is using a previously unreleased technology no manufacturer has managed to beat the saturation point for a given sensor size.@House70, any good photographer knows that a large megapixel small sensor is only a toy and is not capable of the type of quality you are eluding to.[/citation]

@ samuraibiged: Why do you comment about bad photos when you haven't seen a goddamn photo at all!

SEE the photos first THEN comment!

Secondly this phone has the LARGEST sensor in any cellphone. In fact it's equal in size then some point&shoot models (It's 5 times larger than the typical 1/3.2" sensor used in most 8Mpixel camera-smartphones.). Stop DELUDE yourself with your biased comments.

This is not 41megapixels crammed into a small sensor! This is a 5x larger sensor with space for 41 Mpixels to produce 5Mpixels end-user photo's of impeccable quality (virtually noisefree LOOK AT THE PICS goddamned)!

I hate these presumptuous f@(ks who comment without properly investigating things. Those bloody nokia-haters. Instead of being unbiased and embrace this technology as something positive. I know you f*&%ks rather want a windows phone, Androidphone or iPhone with this tech but is it ain't so just yet. Eventually they too will have better camera's and in the future even similar tech like Nokia has today. It still doesn't give YOU the right to bash this down, just because YOU don't like 2012 Symbian (without even use it or have seen it as many commenters have only experience with a 2008 N97).

samuraibiged

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]@ samuraibiged: Why do you comment about bad photos when you haven't seen a goddamn photo at all! SEE the photos first THEN comment!Secondly this phone has the LARGEST sensor in any cellphone. In fact it's equal in size then some point&shoot models (It's 5 times larger than the typical 1/3.2" sensor used in most 8Mpixel camera-smartphones.). Stop DELUDE yourself with your biased comments.This is not 41megapixels crammed into a small sensor! This is a 5x larger sensor with space for 41 Mpixels to produce 5Mpixels end-user photo's of impeccable quality (virtually noisefree LOOK AT THE PICS goddamned)!I hate these presumptuous f@(ks who comment without properly investigating things. Those bloody nokia-haters. Instead of being unbiased and embrace this technology as something positive. I know you f*&%ks rather want a windows phone, Androidphone or iPhone with this tech but is it ain't so just yet. Eventually they too will have better camera's and in the future even similar tech like Nokia has today. It still doesn't give YOU the right to bash this down, just because YOU don't like 2012 Symbian (without even use it or have seen it as many commenters have only experience with a 2008 N97).[/citation]

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nokia-Camera-Phone-US-Release-41-megapixel-Camera-Phone,news-14372.html#

samuraibiged

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]@ samuraibiged: Why do you comment about bad photos when you haven't seen a goddamn photo at all! SEE the photos first THEN comment!Secondly this phone has the LARGEST sensor in any cellphone. In fact it's equal in size then some point&shoot models (It's 5 times larger than the typical 1/3.2" sensor used in most 8Mpixel camera-smartphones.). Stop DELUDE yourself with your biased comments.This is not 41megapixels crammed into a small sensor! This is a 5x larger sensor with space for 41 Mpixels to produce 5Mpixels end-user photo's of impeccable quality (virtually noisefree LOOK AT THE PICS goddamned)!I hate these presumptuous f@(ks who comment without properly investigating things. Those bloody nokia-haters. Instead of being unbiased and embrace this technology as something positive. I know you f*&%ks rather want a windows phone, Androidphone or iPhone with this tech but is it ain't so just yet. Eventually they too will have better camera's and in the future even similar tech like Nokia has today. It still doesn't give YOU the right to bash this down, just because YOU don't like 2012 Symbian (without even use it or have seen it as many commenters have only experience with a 2008 N97).[/citation]

Sorry, really starting to hate IE, here is the correct post.

epdm2be,
Never once did I "bash" Nokia nor resort to name calling, my comment was directed at sensor quality, something I am very informed about. The laws of physics still apply last time I checked and even at 5 times the size of a typical phone sensor that is considerably smaller than a full frame sensor. Sensors work by arranging a grid of "pixels" with a lens located above that gathers and focuses the light on that particular pixel and to fit more pixels on a given sensor reults in a smaller lens which gathers less light. As I said in my comment, more megapixels does not equate to better picture quality, there is a saturation point, generally in the 14-16 megapixel range for point and shoot cameras, a little more for APS sensors.

This being the case, yes with software correction you can increase the picture quality, but not to the point that it will equal a larger sensor, the light information is not captured and can not be artificially produced. You may get a good picture but at what size, can this picture be blown up to the same size as a full frame, not likely. Software can only do so much with the information given to it, while they may have stretched the limits of what is possible but they can't break the laws of physics.

As far as being a Nokia hater, once again I never said anything to this effect, in fact I will tell you the same about any camera phone regardless of manufacturer or OS. I applaud Nokia for making improvements but I will take it for what it is, a phone built into a point and shoot format camera, this is not a typical camera phone but it is still far from a full frame camera.

On another note, this mindset that camera phones are going to catch up to and replace real cameras is nothing but industry lip-service meant to sell more devices to the general public who will follow what they are told. For Joe Blow who only uses a point and shoot camera only a camera phone may very well suffice, but if you are even remotely serious about taking pictures, even at the hobby level it will never do the job of a larger format camera. For every advancement made in camera phones there are as many or more made in cameras.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]A 41 megapixel sensor in something the size of a phone(historically small sensors do not look as good as large ones even larger sensors of lower megapixel ratings). Not sure how well this will look.Guess a review will be in order.[/citation]
I'm not sure why you're being downvoted but you're right. If you have too many megapixels in a small sensor it basically causes interference which we know as "image noise". That's why bigger sensors take better pictures.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"sorry but you dont need 41 megapixal, what you need is good photoshop software to clean up your images."

As has been stated, the default setting is for it to use the 41 megapixels to create an ultrasharp 5 megapixel image... for someone who already has $100s of dollars invested in Photoshop and knows how to use it for such things-- maybe they can turn a standard 5MP image into what this will spit out -- but for my mom? For 99.9% of the population? For nearly every person on Earth, having the camera do the work makes more sense.

samuraibiged

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
What I hope everybody has noticed is the images posted at the links above have been drastically enlarged by software means. At 7152x5368 it would have to be considerably more than a 5 megapixel image, my 5D MKII at the native 21 megapixels creates a jpeg 5616x3744.

I will reserve judgement till I can see real world examples, not promotional images being manipulated before publication.

And before anybody else starts flaming me, I have said before I applaud Nokia for the improvements and innovation, I just want to see unaltered images before passing judgment because the way sensors work cramming 41 megapixels, even on a full frame sensor, is counterproductive due to the nature of how they function.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
That is an option-- It will spit out a 38MP image if you'd like, but the default is for it to take that and build a 5MP image on the fly from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS