Nokia's New CEO Sends off Burning Memo of Fails

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I swapped my Nokia for a Blackberry. My 6500 Classic was sh!t anyway...

I guess Nokia is out of the game.

pasoleatis

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Dear Nokia, you did crappy products and sold them at high prices (see n95 and n97 experiences). You had some good products, but you made a mockery of them and you are still doing. It is not just more competition it is also the way you treat the customers.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku YamamotoI think we are going to see some massive changes in Nokia in the near future, and they will either create a huge change in the market again, or they're die fabulously. This CEO is not taking this lying down. I'm rather impressed...[/citation]

I agree with you. I also wanted to add this is what drives innovation and I hope to see some great stuff from Nokia. My first cell phone was from T-Mobile and it was a Nokia. :)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have an ipod touch, basicly an iphone without the phone. not a v2 3 or 4, but 1

my old computer, win 98, 333mhz p2, 92mb (i believe) of ram, ran better than it. the thing is laggy as hell, even doing the simplest of crap, crap my 98 with its limited power could handle with ease.

now we have phones that put my old computer to shame, yet cant preform as good.

here is an idea. take the pretty out of the phone, no bells and whistles, make it a core phone, with extra features. basicly a smartphone that is a cheap one too. people wont expect to have a great "as good as ipod" phone, but it will be better than a track phone.

or here, a laptop replacement phone / home pc.

make a phone that realy costs 4-500$, charge 800 for it, or 300 under contract.
get a real os made for it, or possibly win7 phone, dont know how good that is.
sell a portable keyboard (real foldable) and a home dock got the tv, and give them a relitivly pc experience.

make people wonder if they should get that net book or net top, if they can get that, and a mobile phone too.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
If I had a manager that took this long to get to the point, he would be receiving a two word letter from me with my signature on it...

G

I would be impressed if he sent this memo before deciding what path to already take. The guy already has his path set in stone, and will reveal it on Feb 11. This memo is just to build fear among employees, and make his path look like the path to salvation. You have to agree that if you are a nokia employee, after reading this, you would embrace any lifeline that is thrown at you, even something ridiculous like making cell phones for dogs would look attractive.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The analogy of a burning platform was very poor. Jumping into the icy waters, hoping that someone comes along and rescues you, doesn't seem like a great message from management.

fernandogmd

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
husker , the analogy is about change of behavior, doing something unexpected, and to opmopadop, the guy is just in, it was a Microsoft exec, he was hired recently. This could be a real change in the market if things are done right, Nokia is still a big player in numbers and there´s people out there supporting them , their phones are pretty tough, and i don´t agree with the guy that said that the n95 was bad, in it´s time was the best phone available it traded blows with the first iphone and stood ground, the n97 was another story. I have an android now and i would go back to nokia if they come with something good.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
But there are rumors that this "memo" is totally fake.

Here is a blog post (communities-dominate.blogs.com) that refutes and debunks the statements in the "memo".

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"Today, I'm going to share what I've learned and what I have come to believe..." Symbian is burning, MeeGo is choking by the flames and smokes, Andriod is here to the rescue. Android is awaiting you to jump to their arms! :)

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
go with the Android platform and give people what they want. A great phone that's priced reasonably that lets us the have latest Android OS through software updates. Don't be like the others and force you to buy a completely new phone just for an OS update. If you must, then just charge $10 for an OS update and fully support that phone!

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I havent owned phones other than those manufactured by nokia. and i think nokia n8 and nokia n900 are great phones, even though they might be lacking on the software side

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Nokia would be better off turning into a company making CCFL light bulbs instead of doing phones. In the US, they are phasing out all incandescent light bulbs. Would be a total game changer for Nokia to provide these and they'd make a ton of money off that and not really have to reinvent the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.