Solved! NordVPN attempted to charge me $84 for a 'free trial'

May 14, 2018
So i was looking for a VPN to use and whilst looking online I heard good tings about NordVPN so attempted to sign up for a 7 day free trial to see how it is.
When filling out my card details for the 7 day free trial it states on the terms that NordVPN will ' charge a small amount to verify your payment provider' which i thought was fine and entered my details, only to receive a text from my bank a few seconds later that a transaction attempt of $83.88 was attempted to withdraw that amount.
I'm sorry but how the hell can they even attempt to get away with that?

Solution
I understand your frustration. You should speak to NordVPN customer support about this. Maybe, they'll take care of this for you. Won't hurt to ask.

https://nordvpn.com/contact-us/
May 14, 2018
It was rejected as i didnt have $83 in the account i use for online purchases so will be getting a bank charge now. Small is a relative term but there is no way they can argue $83.44 (a full years subscription) is a 'small' amount to verify your bank account for a free trial. Especially as it states explicitly on the page that you will only be charged after the free trial ends.

I'm baffled as to how they think can away with such duplicitous behaviour from a supposedly reputable company, the fact i'm now going to be charged by my bank for it makes me so annoyed

Jan 2, 2019
I remember being charged $1 to verify my payment provider when I signed up for 7-day trial via their website. Perhaps you proceeded to purchase their subscription straight away? Might as well be a fault on their end, in which case I suggest to contact their support.