Norton Cleansweep 2003 keeps crashing on me

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm running windows XP.
My PC is a P4 2.53GHZ, radeon 9700, 2 sata drives(seagate)60gb x 2, dual channel OCZ ram.

Bottom line- Want to clean up my PC. Everytime I run cleansweep, about half way through scanning , it crashes. What can I do to get this problem resolved?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Don't use Norton Cleansweep. It really doesn't do anything good anyway. Say what? Oh, it removes unused files and unused registry entries. I see. Well consider that and compare it to the gigabytes of data you have on your drive and the many many thousands of entries in the registry. Cleaning up hundreds of unused files of registry entries doesn't do anything spectacular to your system.

I tell you one thing. Ever since I stopped messing around with the registry using various 'clean' and 'uninstall' programs my system has <i>never</i> run better. Stop worrying about garbage on you drive and unused registry entries and focus on what problems (if any) you have. I did, and I have never been better.

What you need to worry about is spyware programs that takes up resources. Unused files or unused registry entries doesn't take up any significant HD space and does not load your CPU. Run spybot or ad-aware.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have some older applications and double of some applications I need to remove. I want to remove the files and reg entries. I understand what you are saying, but, I paid for the software and I would prefer it to work.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
In that case you paid for nothing. But since you paid for it, contact the manufacturers support if you really wish to waste time.
In my experience no 'clean' utility has ever been able to do anything good. Their top performance is being utterly harmless. As I said, they remove unused files and registry entries. But why do you care. They are <i>unused</i> and does no harm. The best way to get rid of that stuff is to reinstall windows. I do that (using a drive image) two or three times a year.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
YOu don't seem to get it. I have duplicate copies of applications I wish to remove without just deleting them.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Use the uninstall program that came with those applications.