[NOT SOLVED]College Gaming Laptop? <not solved>

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
1. What is your budget? $999 max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-15

3. What screen resolution do you want? 720-1080p I don't care, either one is fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Just equal or under 8 lbs.

5. How much battery life do you need? 3 hrs + (need to last a day's college lecture) Willing to upgrade to 9 cell or buy extra battery that comes with it.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, current games like: DRIFT CITY at highest settings possible with decent FPS. As long as it's playable. I prefer 1 gb graphics card. gddr3 is fine for graphics. IF POSSIBLE, INCLUDE LAPTOPS THAT HAVE OPTIMUS
TECHNOLOGY, IF THEY DON't , STILL INCLUDE IT IN YOUR ANSWER! I WANT TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD. NOT PAYPAL (not shouting, just making this stand out.)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Homework, extreme multitasking, and mostly racing games, note taking during lectures, video editing for youtube vids (sony vegas), photoshop, dreamweaver, visual studio, programming stuff...., ms office 2010

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320 gb or up. once it's over 320, idc what size. I need it to be 7200 RPM

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
online. not ebay

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as possible. 4 yrs minimum.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? The original DVD multi.. don't need blueray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Sager, Asus, MSI, any custom, etc. I DONT WANT ACER, HP, MAC, GATEWAY , LENOVO. I just hate them. I also don't want TOSHIBA.

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed
Hello everyone, you guys are the best to these kind of things, so heres the current problem: I'm planning to get a laptop by the end of this yr or during this summer. Doesn't matter if i have to wait till 2012 that much... i did hear of the Asus Lamborghini VX7. By the way, don't recommend me alienware, i hate them. Sure it's great but 11 inch not big enough. Don't recommend Dell XPS 15 because I already have it planned as a backup laptop.

THANK YOU FOR READING!
QUESTION SSTILL OPEN !

FOR YOUR INFO!
By backup laptop, i mean as a backup option.

By the way, I don't plan to ever getting a tablet or pad thing.

NO REFURBISHED PLEASE.

Hello drake123;
This is not a problem for us... we're not the ones having to wait.

Almost everything we'd suggest now will be OBE in six months.
Another thing to keep in mind - your 'backup laptop' could very well be a tablet or pad. Lots of interesting stuff in that area will be showing up in time for the next school year. Keep an eye out on those developments for your carry to class computer.

If you were buying this week with your budget I'd suggest the Sager NP5160.
About $860 with Sandy Bridge Core i7-2630QM, full HD 1920x1080 15.6" LCD and GT 540 graphics card. (remember to add the OS to get the $860 price - unless you can get a student deal on the OS).

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What do you mean "planned as a backup laptop"? If you want something easy to transport a tablet or netbook should get the job done better than an XPS 15. If you want something powerful than a netbook that's still a laptop--it may as well be your good one. And if you say $999 max for a gaming laptop, maybe you should skip the extra laptop for a better gaming one. And if you're really concerned about gaming and you're gonna have an extra laptop anyways--maybe you should get a gaming desktop.

And continuing on what WR2 said, if you want a laptop six months from now--you may as well wait until 5 months from now because there will be better parts out there for cheaper by then.

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
How do you feel about the iBUYPOWER Battalion Touch CZ-10 at $899. It's really a beast of a machine and should be more than what you need for everything. The iBUYPOWER® Battalion Touch CZ-10 responds with precision to a variety of fingertip gestures. Along with a 15.6" screen, it features DDR3 memory and discrete ATI Radeon® HD 4000 series graphics for low heat, high performance, and life-like visuals.

Here are some more specs:
Screen
15.6" WXGA (1366x768)
Processor
2.53 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Mobile P8700
RAM
4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Storage
500 GB HDD 5400 RPM

What do you think?

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I appreciate the recommendation but can you give me the link to it?
I hope the hard drive can be customized because i need a 7200 rpm drive.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I meant as in a backup laptop option in case I decide to not buy whatever...

Like let's say i want to buy laptop A and laptop B is the backup
Laptop A is gone... so I buy laptop B instead.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I know I will be studying. It's just for those free time after studying. =D. Besides, I plan to major in anything involving computers.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

BY THE WAY

I can't afford the Asus G73Jh . it's over 1000 usd.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Inpressed i must say :) well good luck with that lol

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I'm taking the over 1000 dollar issue seriously because I need to use those other money for other things (eg books, food, supplies, etc.) I think 999 is more than enough for me. Besides, I wouldn't want to get stolen.

bbgink

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Please check this :
ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 Refurbished Notebook PC - Black
Price: $969.99 @ amazon
* Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz
* 6GB DDR3 System Memory, 500GB SATA HDD , DVD-RW
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

» The gaming performance of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Laptop should be sufficient for all current games (2009-2010) in high resolution and high detail settings. With 4x Antialiasing the following games should run fluently in 1920x1200: Left4Dead, UT3, Devil May Cry 4, Far Cry 2, ET:Quake Wars, and Wolfenstein MP (over 30 fps according to AMD slides - see beyond). Compared to the previous leader in the mobile segment, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M, the new HD5870 should be faster. (notebookcheck.net)

bbgink

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Please check this :
ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 Refurbished Notebook PC - Black
Price: $969.99 @ amazon
* Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz
* 6GB DDR3 System Memory, 500GB SATA HDD , DVD-RW
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

» The gaming performance of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 Laptop should be sufficient for all current games (2009-2010) in high resolution and high detail settings. With 4x Antialiasing the following games should run fluently in 1920x1200: Left4Dead, UT3, Devil May Cry 4, Far Cry 2, ET:Quake Wars, and Wolfenstein MP (over 30 fps according to AMD slides - see beyond). Compared to the previous leader in the mobile segment, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M, the new HD5870 should be faster. (notebookcheck.net)

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I appreciate your hard effort but I'm not interested in refurbished laptops. I don't want to take chances and if that doesn't work, it's too much of a hassle sending it back. etc. Your graphics card info will come in handy . ^^.