Question Not sure what I need

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
I have a Vizio E320vl. I just got internet but it is a slow speed. 5 mbps I believe. I have an LG Stylo 4 phone and a basic Lenovo tablet. I was trying to figure out how to watch an downloaded or streamed movie on my TV. I bought a Chromecast HDMI doggle but have not been able to get it to work on the TV. I have contacted both Google services and Vizio who went through all Diagnostics and said that I should get a secondary device to test if the Chromecast and or the HDMI ports are good. I do not have another HDMI device to do that. Now at a point where I think I need to replace something but not sure which direction to go. I have antenna TV for local channels. I would like to be able to access Pluto TV or Crackle and possibly eventually some low-cost subscription. I was thinking of buying another TV but so confused with all the options and if it will work with the slow internet speed. I appreciate any advice I can get.

Check the actual speed with your phone (near the chromecast location) and the app from this site (run it at different times of the day)
https://www.speedtest.net/apps/mobile

If the speed is really 5mbps stable, you should be able to stream at a 1080p full hd resolution.

Does an error message appear on the TV?

Did you switch to the HDMI 1 source on the TV while the chromecast was connected to the HDMI 1 port? Try the second HDMI port as well and switch to the HDMI 2 on the TV´s source.

Did you connect the USB power cable from the chromecast to the TV? Try connecting it to power by the power plug delivered with the chromecast

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
Ok. I already have Ookla speedtest. I will check it. I did try both HDMI ports. HDMI 1 showed a message "Retrieving data" then would go to a black screen. HDMI 2 showed " no signal". For a brief moment, HDMI 1 showed 720p in the top right corner. It would briefly act like it was connecting then die.

Another thing I noticed when I looked at the network WIFI screen on my phone, it would briefly show lol 2.4 as a connection but would not stay on for long. I was wondering why that would show and then go off.

I will let you know about the speed test.

I don't think buying a new TV will solve your problem although a Roku TV (or Roku streamer) would allow access to Pluto and Crackle as well as a lot of other free channels without having to involve your phone in the process. A simpler solution than streaming from a phone app to the TV.
Check with the streaming channels/apps you want use to find out what their minimum requirement is for internet speed. Check your speed at different times to make sure it won't slow down when you need it.

Reactions: lynda2006

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
Just a quick update. I ran a speed test that showed 4.73. I tried the HDMI port and it showed no signal. I switched to the second HDMI port. I tried casting a picture and it did not show on the TV. I then tried music and it started playing music on the TV. It is now playing music.

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
I tried casting a picture from Google and it didn't show. Then I used Pluto TV to pull up a movie and casted it. It played the sound but not the picture. So strange that I can hear the sound and not see the picture.

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
I ran another speed test when the movie is playing and it showed 16.6. Also I noticed the light on the Chromecast dongle is blinking yellow. I am not sure what that means.

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
So I Googled "yellow blinking light on Chromecast" and it states that that is an error signal. I am now wondering if I should try just an HDMI adapter and cable and see if I can cast any picture.

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
I don't think buying a new TV will solve your problem although a Roku TV (or Roku streamer) would allow access to Pluto and Crackle as well as a lot of other free channels without having to involve your phone in the process. A simpler solution than streaming from a phone app to the TV.
Check with the streaming channels/apps you want use to find out what their minimum requirement is for internet speed. Check your speed at different times to make sure it won't slow down when you need it.

I will be looking for a good deal on a streaming tv. The less degradation, the better is what I am thinking.

Reactions: helpstar

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
Purchased RGB-PC cable with audio cable. Connected to laptop. Worked and was able to watch a movie. Some slight dragging, probably connection speed. Minor in nature. No wireless but it works.

lynda2006

Great
Feb 2, 2020
Tried Firetvstick again and decided to clean HDMI ports. Noticed some orange coloring. Brushed silicone grease on HDMI ports. Was able to change resolution by holding the back reverse select and right buttons down at same time for 20 seconds. It did not toggle as stated but I pressed the select button several times and got a different resolution screen each time. But still no menu to use. One screen was lime green showing "searching for remote. Press "home" to pair. Pressing home resulted in no response. One screen was red and green diagonal lines. One screen was a split lime green with the amazon logo on the right. One screen was a split lime green screen with a wide multi color strip at the bottom. One screen was a multi color full screen. Will call Firetvstick customer service during the day.