Not turning on

Jpmartinez

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
Having problems with HP pavilion computer series dv6. At first it was turning on but just for a second in less than a minute while booting it will then turn off and take hours for it to turn back on. I took it apart to see if it would turn on just with the basics (motherboard, Lcd, 1ram, power button, fan and dc power board). The power board seemed fine despite the ash like substance that cover it or so I assume since the light goes on. I went ahead and put it back together however now is off for good there is no signs of power being supplied. I read in other threads that this series in specific was problematic due to the Nvidia GPU. Now i am thinking either is the GPU or the motherboard is dead (which seems unlikely since it turned on before). Any thoughts in why this computer is not turning on? And is there anyway of figuring out whether if is indeed the mobo or the GPU?

Solution
Sorry kittle, you don't know about laptop, dv6 are HP. You said to take the laptop to a local repair shop, the OP will do that if nobody else will answer with a better answer. So, here I am, with a better answer. The best way to test is to have your motherboard, a stick of RAM, the adapter and connect to an external monitor or your internal if you don't have an external. If you can't get a picture on the monitor, any components could be defective on the motherboard.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
well if you took it apart and it was "sortof" working. And then after putting it back together its not working at all, chances are it was not re-assembled correctly.

Since you mentioned "charger" and "dv6" Im assuming this is a Toshiba laptop. I would take it to a local repair shop or (better) a friend who knows something about this stuff.

Sorry kittle, you don't know about laptop, dv6 are HP. You said to take the laptop to a local repair shop, the OP will do that if nobody else will answer with a better answer. So, here I am, with a better answer. The best way to test is to have your motherboard, a stick of RAM, the adapter and connect to an external monitor or your internal if you don't have an external. If you can't get a picture on the monitor, any components could be defective on the motherboard.

Solution

Jpmartinez

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014

Do you think it be worth it to buy a new dc power board? The ash substance i mention did look messy and harmful to the board. I try the ladder and there were no signs of life. Sorry for the previous post that were vague is hard to write on my phone.

Jpmartinez

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
http://[/url]