Notebook decisions???

Custom_Build

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I want to buy a powerful notebook, one has the T7700 and the other has the T7800. The T7800 costs about $500 more is it a good $500 to spend?? The speed of the T7700 is 2.4Ghz while the speed of the T7800 is 2.6Ghz. Is it a good idea to spend $500 more for 200mhz??

What's the notebook? What are you planning on doing with it? What are the rest of the specs?

I also think you mean an X7800 since the T series stops at the T7700. The X7800 has is unlocked which allows you to adjust the multiplier on the CPU. In other words, you can overclock it without software. So I guess my answer is no unless you want to OC it, but make sure you have the cooling for that.

Huh, thanks for the link. I don't think I've ever seen a T7800. The only 7800 I've seen is the X series, but that just proved me wrong. lol.

I don't think you will see much difference between the two to make the 7800 worth it. I use a T7200 in mine which is 2.00ghz and it does fine for me, I play games like COD2 and BF2142. Just because I am curious now, what laptop are you looking at?

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Don't take this wrong, but I've always felt that the Vaio's were more hype than substance, I always felt that they were a bit cheap (quality wise, not price wise). My friend had a Vaio desktop, and it was literally made of plastic. Maybe there is a steel frame inside, but the outside was all plastic panelling, including the flaps leading to the drives. Those promptly broke. Now, it was the desktop, and I don't know if the laptops are better, but that experience alone kinda put me off of Sony computers.

Just that if I'm investing that much money into an item, I want it to be one of high quality.

Anyway. About the processor, I don't think that extra 0.2 Ghz is worth that extra 500 bucks...the performance gain simply isn't enough to justify the cost. You can buy another laptop for that much. :D

Custom_Build

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Don't take this wrong, but I've always felt that the Vaio's were more hype than substance, I always felt that they were a bit cheap (quality wise, not price wise). My friend had a Vaio desktop, and it was literally made of plastic.
Sony Vaio's are made of Carbon fiber Casing!:) They are made of Carbon fiber because they are lighter this way.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Well, apparently they did. I don't know, it had the Vaio logo and all. This ( http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001043 ) looks similar to it, so maybe it was a media center PC. It was my friends desktop computer, anyway. And it broke. :p

As for the carbon fibre Vaio's, I see them on select ultraportable models. They're expensive, and not particularly powerful either (running Pentium M 1.2 Ghz). I like the carbon fibre idea, but in terms of price for performance right now...yeah.