Novice killed the amp?

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
So, I'll try to keep this short, as I need some quick replies. ;) This might not be the exactly correct place to put this, but I'm sure some car audio guys get here!

I recently got a Directed D800 car amp for free. It was sitting in a foreclosed house I cleaned a few weeks back. I took it (per the contract, I promise) and gave it a look over. Powered on correctly with no protect LED's or anything, so I hooked it to a sub I have. Powered it great, so I assumed it worked well. Sold it to someone on Craigs, and now he's saying when he hooked it up to a 15", it started smoking. Come to find out, he bridged it, and everything I find on it says NOT BRIDGEABLE. Did he cook it, or should I give him his money back?

Solution
Hi jack,

As far as I remember, the D800 is a 1-channel amp delivering 200W in 4ohm and up to 800W in 1 ohm, and it *is* actually bridgeable - it also has a built-in gain sync for this.
However, you should ask for more details related to the defect circumstances - what 15" speaker did he used (impedance, power) and what is the other amp he used for the bridge.

Cheers.

Dr_M0rph3us

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi jack,

As far as I remember, the D800 is a 1-channel amp delivering 200W in 4ohm and up to 800W in 1 ohm, and it *is* actually bridgeable - it also has a built-in gain sync for this.
However, you should ask for more details related to the defect circumstances - what 15" speaker did he used (impedance, power) and what is the other amp he used for the bridge.

Cheers.

Solution

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Morph, thanks for the reply. Using another amp? As far as I understand it, bridging in this term is connecting two channels into one. It's a monoblock amp, but it has hookups for two subwoofers. I could be totally wrong on this, car audio is *not* my thing, but that's what he said he did. The problem is, I knew it worked. From what I gathered, he used a 15" 600WRMS @ 2ohm sub.

Dr_M0rph3us

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi Jack,

As general info, you can both bridge multiple channels from one amplifier as well as bridge multiple amplifiers to gain more power on a single output.

Back to topic, even the fact that he used both hookups shouldn't have damaged the amplifier, cause it's basically the same output, but splitted (as I understood), and even so, if he somehow inverted them, the D800 amp has thermal, DC offset, reverse polarity, over and under voltage, and short circuit protections. It's a hard-to-kill amp.

600W @ 2ohm should have been no issue, cause that amp can deliver 300W in 2ohm output.

I still can't determine where the fault may be - if the amp was already defective, but not tested enough before selling, or he cooked it as you say, despite all the protection systems.

Cheers.

saaiello

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
That sort of item you should have sold as is no returns for the fact that Car Electronics especially amps can be damaged so easily by user era. I myself have fried an amp or 2 and i install car audio system professionally it happens sometimes. As far as bridgeing it The D800 cant be bridged only the d1200 or d2400 could be bridged externally.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up meeting him at our local shop, and had them take a look at it. He noted that 3 of the 4 screws that hold the heatsink/cover were missing, which I certainly didn't do. So, we're all good there. Thanks for all the replies guys.