NPD: Android is Top Selling U.S. Smartphone OS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]firedust[/nom]I think the main reason android has sold so well is because every fourth commercial on TV is about how awesome they are. I can't imagine how much they must have spent on their ad campaign.[/citation]
I hope that was just an observation and not a complaint. After all, how many of those stupid iPhone commercials with two morons chatting over FaceTime do we have to endure? How about those Palm Pre commercials with just that woman's head (was she wearing any clothes below the camera line?), talking about nothing basically. How about those dumb Microsoft Kin commercials "only our phone uses this software you've never heard of, doesn't that make you want our phone?".

All companies advertise, that's how they let you know their product exists. Face it, if Verizon didn't pound out those Droid commercials, Android would still be getting beat by the iPhone.

G

It also didn't hurt that so many companies were giving away Android phones. Verizon was giving two for one droids.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]hufnagel[/nom]In case you didn't know. Google charges no license fee to any smartphone manufacturer for using it's GNU, open source, Android OS. So while it's quickly becoming the most used mobile OS, Google makes no money from it directly.[/citation]

They don't make money from the appstore?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The key word was "directly".
Profit from the appstore is helped by Android OS market share... but Google does not SELL the android OS was the point being made. Smartphone makers can use the OS for no license cost.

most of the apps are free anyways. remember android is an open source project. anyone can design software (apps) for it and give them away for free, or charge privately and google makes no money. google charges those developers a percent of profit only if they want to use the appstore to move their app.
One must not use the appstore to load apps onto the android OS.

daveola

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]So, whats the #1 selling phone on the market?[/citation]
Actually I'm comparing the market shares of two products. So you are the ignorant one you smartass! At no time did I say anything about either one of the items being directly compared to a particular brand. So why don't you make sure you have your facts straight next time before you let your stupidity be known.

daveola

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
[citation][nom]daveola[/nom]Actually I'm comparing the market shares of two products. So you are the ignorant one you smartass! At no time did I say anything about either one of the items being directly compared to a particular brand. So why don't you make sure you have your facts straight next time before you let your stupidity be known.[/citation]
Sorry, this was meant for maydaynomore.......

Status
Not open for further replies.