NSA Paid RSA $10 Million to Use Flawed Security Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I'm actually starting to question the reliability of some of these rumors. I mean, the NSA doesn't need to bribe them to put a flaw in as they can do it themselves.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This another one of those "We need an NSA headline!" articles. The weaknesses for Dual_EC_DRBG have been known for a long time. It's unlikely that the NSA paid for the backdoor, they can pay their own people less for better results. As it is getting random numbers right is notoriously difficult, just google if want an interesting read on the subject.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
The NSA shills are out in full swing I see

We have documents that prove that the nsa paid to put in a back door, and and the nsa shills turn right up denying it

WhoMovedMyFreedom

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Thanks to the heroic freedom-fighter and whistle-blower Edward J. Snowden we now know that an army of private contractors and the US Military unlawfully monitors everyone’s telephone traffic, all your contact lists, text messages, passwords, GPS locations with dates and time, FaceBook posts & pictures, LinkedIn pages & pictures, your search engine keywords entered (yes – even the keywords typed in but you don’t press the enter key), all web sites visited, all your credit card numbers, all your inbound and outbound e-mail messages, your voice-print, and facial image (for facial recognition devices planted around the world used to identify your movement). They have also now installed traffic cameras in a ll major metro areas and on police cars that scan license plate tags and store that information in databases. I believe those databases are shared with the NSA. They store all that information permanently, under your name, at the US Military’s new massive Utah Data Center and can pull it up at any time in the future. They can even freely tap into the microphone and/or camera on your smart phone, tablet, laptop, PC, automobile’s OnStar system, xBox and similar Internet connected devices. Rest assured – if it connects to the Internet – the US Military can tap into it and illegally monitor you. And now we have learned they have back door access into all of RSA's encryption tools.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The NSA shills are out in full swing I see

We have documents that prove that the nsa paid to put in a back door, and and the nsa shills turn right up denying it

Morons even more so. Clearly you didn't comprehend any of the comments.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
all your contact lists, text messages, passwords, GPS locations with dates and time, FaceBook posts & pictures, LinkedIn pages & pictures, your search engine keywords entered (yes – even the keywords typed in but you don’t press the enter key),.....They can even freely tap into the microphone and/or camera on your smart phone

Great another troll complaining about the loss of freedoms and who doesn't understand how the technology works (excepting instant searches).

G

"Thanks to the heroic freedom-fighter and whistle-blower Edward J. Snowden we now know that an army of private contractors and the US Military unlawfully monitors everyone’s telephone traffic, all your contact lists, text messages, passwords, GPS locations with dates and time, FaceBook posts & pictures, LinkedIn pages & pictures, your search engine keywords entered (yes – even the keywords typed in but you don’t press the enter key), all web sites visited, all your credit card numbers, all your inbound and outbound e-mail messages, your voice-print, and facial image (for facial recognition devices planted around the world used to identify your movement). They have also now installed traffic cameras in a ll major metro areas and on police cars that scan license plate tags and store that information in databases. I believe those databases are shared with the NSA. They store all that information permanently, under your name, at the US Military’s new massive Utah Data Center and can pull it up at any time in the future. They can even freely tap into the microphone and/or camera on your smart phone, tablet, laptop, PC, automobile’s OnStar system, xBox and similar Internet connected devices. Rest assured – if it connects to the Internet – the US Military can tap into it and illegally monitor you. And now we have learned they have back door access into all of RSA's encryption tools."

+1 rep. That's a nice post you got there. Yes, it's obviously biasd but at least you didn't attempt to fake it. It's a useful viewpoint to dwell on.

G

"
Great another troll complaining about the loss of freedoms and who doesn't understand how the technology works (excepting instant searches)."

Have you not heard of the massive data mapping programs? It has been semi-exposed for years now. I can fully believe that any data available has been collected, including 'illegal' data, which is just traded between foreign partners to circumvent the law.

The whole point of the science is to paint an accurate picture of all connections and persons of interest in such a way that you can know exactly what they are doing, and know it indirectly, by monitoring thousands of relative data points that ARE NOT directly related to them. It's very good theory, and military policy, but I don't support a military/defense state. I don't want to live in a 'safe' world where we are owned and manipulated by other humans who happen to be in the seats of power.

Hopefully one day society will ascend to a higher moral or perhaps an AI will rise that we can trust (or will be forced to trust), whom can run the world.. but as it is we can not accept a structured and controlled society. Humans can not unbiasdly rule over them selves, and power must remain dispursed and balanced.. as unlikely as that sounds.

G

"
Great another troll complaining about the loss of freedoms and who doesn't understand how the technology works (excepting instant searches)."

Have you not heard of the massive data mapping programs? It has been semi-exposed for years now. I can fully believe that any data available has been collected, including 'illegal' data, which is just traded between foreign partners to circumvent the law.

The whole point of the science is to paint an accurate picture of all connections and persons of interest in such a way that you can know exactly what they are doing, and know it indirectly, by monitoring thousands of relative data points that ARE NOT directly related to them. It's very good theory, and military policy, but I don't support a military/defense state. I don't want to live in a 'safe' world where we are owned and manipulated by other humans who happen to be in the seats of power.

Hopefully one day society will ascend to a higher moral or perhaps an AI will rise that we can trust (or will be forced to trust), whom can run the world.. but as it is we can not accept a structured and controlled society. Humans can not unbiasdly rule over them selves, and power must remain dispursed and balanced.. as unlikely as that sounds.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
SPAMMERS...

Seriously Toms... they are getting out of hand now.

PLEASE do something or I am gone to Ars Technica despite being such a long term member here and recommending your site to so many people...

(is the Reporting function "broken/disabled" to avoid dealing with the Large Qty of reported spammers???)

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
This is truly shocking.

It just goes to show the depth of law breaking the government and corporations are willing to goto to spy on innocent citizens.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I have always been wary of backdoors, because it means instead of having to 'break the code' for each message you are looking for this shortcut which then gives you all access.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
this doesnt make sense. the NSA bought a contract to use these. so they had a backdoor built in? for what purpose? and then chinese hackers got into the secured files. the NSA did that to themselves essentially by allowing the back door? this is weird!

Shaun o

Distinguished
Democracy !
Amazing, funny thing is your all considered as an enemy of the state.

I`m afraid it`s the paranoia of terrorism.
So every one is classed as a potential threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.